Please Join Us!
11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Fitness & Recreation Center Gymnasium
The Purdue Northwest Fall Career Expo is open to all students and alumni of Purdue University.
Information for Job Seekers
- The event will be held on Friday, September 27, 2019, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. CST at the Hammond, Indiana campus in the Fitness & Recreation Center Gymnasium. If you need transportation to this event, please check the Inter-Campus Bus schedule. This transportation is free to all students, faculty and staff.
- There is no pre-registration requirement to attend this event, however, PNW students and alumni with active Handshake accounts may pre-register through their Handshake account.
- PNW or Purdue Alumni that do not have a Handshake account, but would like one to stay on top of events like this one and other career opportunities, can create an account by completing the brief form found on this page.
- Plan accordingly to dress appropriately to meet with employers, first impressions count! This event is business professional attire,which means no jeans, sweatpants, shorts, t-shirts, sneakers, ball caps, and otherwise revealing attire. Clean and neat looking apparel is recommended.
- RESEARCH the employers that are listed before coming to this event. Employers expect you to sell yourself to them, not the other way around, so take some time, and plan who you want to talk to, and what you want to say. Practice your introduction. The list of registered employers is available in Handshake or by clicking here.
- Bring multiple copies of your resume to distribute to the employers that interest you the most and maybe a few more you meet that day
- Remember to ask for business cards, and follow through with a polite “thank you” email.
Career Expo FAQs
This event is open to the general public, and we do expect lines for those that did not pre-register. Purdue University students and alumni may pre-register. PNW Students can pre-register via Handshake. PNW Alumni that do not have an Handshake account, may have their account created by going to our Alumni Registration Page (alumni status will be verified).
Members of the general public and other area institutions may register at the door on the day of the event.
Expect the unexpected, but also be prepared. The Career Center team offers multiple workshops to help you prepare career fairs, Here’s a list of dates/times and where you can attend:
- August 27, 2019, Westville Campus, LSF 170A, 11 a.m. CST
- August 29, 2019, Hammond Campus, SUL 301, 11 a.m. CST
- August 29, 2019, Hammond Campus, SUL 301, 4 p.m. CST
- September 18, 2019, Westville Campus, LSF 170A 11 a.m. CST
- September 19, 2019, Hammond Campus, SUL 301, 5 p.m. CST
- September 20, 2019, Hammond Campus, SUL 321, 10 a.m. CST
You can check out these workshops and other events by logging into your Handshake account.
The Career Center also has an online Career Events Prep booklet that you can download and review if you do not have time for a workshop. Job seekers are also encouraged to look at the employers who are attending the event and use the Company Research Worksheet to note any important information about the companies you want to speak to.
Lastly, take advantage of the other resources The Career Center has to offer, such as Drop-In Career Advising for a quick resume review, or schedule a Career Advising appointment via Handshake for one on one assistance.
Yes, there is a dress code. Job seekers are expected to dress business casual to business professional, but remember that employers are expecting the best of the best. It’s never a bad thing to overdress. In fact, dress for the part that you want!
Please be aware that if you come to register or check in for the Expo and you are not dressed appropriately that you may be turned away. Employers are seeking Purdue-caliber students, and professional attire is a part of the brand.
You can find more information under the appearance guidelines in the Career Events Prep Book.
We have a process called Spot Your Dot. When you get through registration or check-in you will see tables set up with colored dots on them. These dots represent the different colleges and majors associated with them. Employers, likewise, will have colored dots on their name tags for the colleges their company would like to speak with.
Additionally, tables with balloons indicate that those organizations are seeking to fill internships.
The Expo is open from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. so that students and alumni can come at any point during this time frame. Oftentimes students come in between classes or after class on their way to work, or even after work. The time frame simply allows for you to attend at your convenience. You can come and go as you please. So the answer is no, you do not have to stay the whole 3 hours.
Practice your elevator pitch. Don’t know what that is? The Events Prep Handbook has a section devoted to creating a stellar elevator pitch.
Also make sure that you collect business cards of the employers you speak with and send follow-up thank you’s to them. Personalized thank-you cards or e-mails are acceptable. This adds a personal touch and will help an employer remember you at future networking events.
Information for Employers
- The event will be held on Friday, September 27, 2019, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. CST at the Hammond, Indiana campus in the Fitness & Recreation Center Gymnasium.
- Here is a link to our detailed fee schedule including what your registration fee includes.
- Registered employers are encouraged to get their internships and job openings posted in Handshake before event as job seekers will be reviewing the registered companies and their openings.
- Employers who would like to schedule On Campus Interviews or Information Sessions either before or after this event, may do so by visiting the On Campus Recruitment Request Form.
- Unfortunately, due to the location of this event, we will not have access to on site printing services, so please make sure you have enough printed collateral materials for this event.
- Should you wish to ship your career fair items to us before the event, we are happy to deliver your materials to your event table. We can also ship your items back to your requested location, however, you will need to bring your own shipping labels. Our shipping address for this event is: Purdue University Northwest C/O The Career Center 2200 169th Street, Student Union Library Building, RM 349 Hammond, Indiana 46323
- Should you need any other information to make this event successful for you and your organization, please do not hesitate to contact us at 219-989-2600.
Want to recruit on campus earlier?
Contact your Employer Liaison for information about recruiting at PNW.
|Hammond Campus: 219-989-2600||Westville Campus: 219-785-5451|