Career Center Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
General Student-Related Questions
Visiting the Career Center
We have offices at both campus locations, however in accordance with guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Protection (CDC), in order to help prevent the transmission of COVID-19 and to de-densify the office space, the Career Center is conducting all career advising and career counseling appointments virtually.
- The Career Center is open and fully operational virtually to serve our students and alumni! Our hours of operation are Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Due to CDC guidelines to de-densify, we will have limited staff availability in office Monday – Thursday between 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Yes, we are open year round, with the exception of University designated holidays.
Yes, until further notice, all appointments will be conducted virtually. To schedule an appointment, please log in to Handshake or call the office at 219-989-2600. If you are in need of special accommodations for your appointment, please contact us so that other arrangements can be made.
In order to protect our staff and students, all drop-in career advising services have been suspended until further notice. Services traditionally available during drop-in career advising such as resume review, Handshake assistance and questions about student employment will now be offered by appointment only. For your convenience, we now offer 15, 30 and 60-minute appointment options for Career Advising.
- Access to career services is a lifetime no cost benefit to students and alumni of Purdue. However, there are fees for some career related services for alumni and pre-college/community members.
Career Center Services
- Purdue University Northwest is part of the Handshake network. Handshake is a cutting edge job posting system that allows you to take advantage of Purdue University Northwest’s reputation and vast network of industry connections. You are five (5) times more likely to be hired by employers through Handshake than any other job board.
- Yes! The Career Center provides interview preparation and practice for students and alumni. We also have an online interview streaming service that can help you practice your interviewing skills, InterviewStream.
- If you need assistance with deciding on a major, it is recommended that you schedule an appointment for Career Counseling Services. You can schedule an appointment by one of the three ways: 1. Stop into either of our offices (Hammond SUL 349 or Westville LSF 104) 2. Contact us at 219-989-2600 or 3. Schedule a time via your Handshake account. You may also want to check out this resource.
- The Career Center can provide you with guidance and feedback on your resume. If you need in-depth assistance, you can schedule a Career Advising appointment. Please check out our Career Resources page for more resume information.
- There will be many opportunities for you to connect with employers throughout the school year. The Career Center lists all of our events on our Career Events page, and in the Handshake system. You should also check the University calendar for information on other events not hosted by the Career Center.
- Yes! Access to our services is a lifetime benefit.
- Access to career services is a lifetime no cost benefit to students and alumni of Purdue. However, there are fees for certain career related services for alumni and pre-college/community members.