Faculty Book Club
The Center for Faculty Excellence is excited to be offering Virtual Faculty Book Clubs on two books in Spring 2021.
Registration deadline is Friday, January 22.
Small Teaching Online: Applying Learning Science in Online Classes
Book Description (Excerpted from Amazon): “The concept of small teaching is simple: small and strategic changes have enormous power to improve student learning. Instructors face unique and specific challenges when teaching an online course. … This book outlines practical and feasible applications of theoretical principles to help your online students learn. It includes current best practices around educational technologies, strategies to build community and collaboration, and minor changes you can make in your online teaching practice, small but impactful adjustments that result in significant learning gains.” Read more about the book.
Small Teaching Online Book Club Meeting Dates:
- Monday, February 15 from 2:30-4:00pm, virtual via Zoom
- Monday, March 8 from 2:30-4:00pm, virtual via Zoom
- Monday, April 12 from 2:30-4:00pm, virtual via Zoom
Bandwidth Recovery: Helping Students Reclaim Cognitive Resources Lost to Poverty, Racism, and Social
Book Author: Cia Verschelden
Book Description (Excerpted from Amazon): This book argues that the cognitive resources for learning of over half our young people have been diminished by the negative effects of economic insecurity, discrimination and hostility against non-majority groups based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity, and other aspects of difference. Recognizing that these students are no different than their peers in terms of cognitive capacity, this book offers a set of strategies and interventions to rebuild the available cognitive resources necessary to succeed in college and reach their full potential. Read more about the book.
Bandwidth Recovery Book Club Meeting Dates:
- Tuesday, February 16 from 9:00-10:30am, virtual via Zoom
- Tuesday, March 9 from 9:00-10:30am, virtual via Zoom
- Tuesday, April 13 from 9:00-10:30am, virtual via Zoom
Books Read in Previous Book Clubs
- Small Teaching Online: Applying Learning Science in Online Classes by Flower Darby and James M. Lang (Fall 2020)
- The Sun Does Shine: How I Found Life, Freedom and Justice by Anthony Ray Hinton (Fall 2020)
- Small Teaching: Everyday Lessons from the Science of Learning by James M. Lang (Spring 2020)
- The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean (Spring 2020)
- What the Best College Teachers Do by Ken Bain (Spring & Summer 2019)
- Generation Z Goes to College by Corey Seemiller and Meghan Grace (Fall 2019)