Founded in 2009, the Center for Innovation through Visualization and Simulation (CIVS) is a multidisciplinary center that combines advanced simulation techniques with 3D visualization and virtual-reality technologies.
Utilizing state-of-the-art simulation and virtual technologies to provide innovative solutions to problems in the university, industry and community spaces, CIVS has been globally recognized for its integrated and application-driven approach. Through close partnerships with more than 140 external organizations, CIVS continues to make substantial educational and economic impacts, resulting in over $40 million in savings for collaborators from projects.
CIVS is an internationally recognized resource for applying advanced visualization and simulation to create innovative solutions in business, industry and education, and to provide effective educational and collaborative technology tools.
CIVS Mission Statement
- To foster innovation through advanced visualization and simulation using multidisciplinary approaches
- To conduct cutting-edge applied research using state-of-the art computer simulation, visualization technologies and high-performance computing
- To educate individuals and organizations in the use and benefits of modeling, simulation and visualization
CIVS Goals and Objectives
- To collaborate with faculty and staff in developing research and education activities in visualization and simulation by
- Providing technical support of research staff and research assistants
- Providing facilities and seed grants
- Helping with proposal writing including developing ideas, identifying collaborators, identifying funding sources, organizing and reviewing proposals, and providing supporting letters, etc.
- To acquire more external funding and grants for long-term sustainability of CIVS
- To maintain a nationally recognized presence
- To provide resources for education, community, and industry outreach
- To provide experiential learning experience to students
- To continuously develop infrastructures and technologies
CIVS – Powers Building 123
2200 169th St.
Hammond Indiana, 46323
With funding support provided by a major AMTech grant from the U.S. Department of Commerce, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Purdue University Northwest and the CIVS in 2014 spearheaded the launch of a novel, industry-led association of steel manufacturers and stakeholders, now firmly established as the Steel Manufacturing Simulation and Visualization Consortium, or SMSVC.
The SMSVC is a nationwide, industry-led consortium of steel producers, suppliers, and users—including energy suppliers and utility companies—whose purpose is to address major technological issues and barriers related to growth, and to ensure a competitive advantage for American steel manufacturing.
Partner With Us
Do you have any ideas on how simulation and visualization can help the community? Are you curious to find out about the current projects CIVS is involved with?
Email email@example.com to provide suggestions or learn more about the Center for Innovation through Visualization and Simulation and how we impact the community.