Math, Algebra and Statistics Tutorials
The following mathematical and statistical techniques will be used in various courses throughout your graduate nursing program.
If you haven’t used these techniques recently, we have provided you with links to tutorials provided by Kahn Academy. These tutorials are very helpful and short. In some cases, we recommend an entire unit on a particular topic. In other cases, we have identified the most relevant section of the unit. In these cases, you may find it useful to view the entire unit depending on your comfort level with the topics.
- Order of operations
- One-variable equations: Many lessons are available reviewing basic algebraic equations. You can select where to start based on your level of proficiency. All the relevant lessons are included at this site.
- Two Variable Equations: For a basic overview of solving two-variable equations, the following two lessons are recommended
- Graphing a line: The first five lessons in the unit “Graphing solutions to equations” are recommended, but all can be viewed. The link starts at the beginning lesson.
- Random variables
- Discrete/continuous distributions
- Poisson distribution
- Normal distribution and z-scores: The entire unit covering the normal distribution and z-score calculations is instructive
- Population vs. sample
- Central tendency
- Variability: For a basic overview of variability, the following two lessons are recommended
- Type I and Type II errors: No lessons are available for Type II errors, but the threaded discussion on the Type I errors page is instructive