The responsibility for all academic decisions belongs to the student.
Purdue University Northwest recognizes academic advising as a critical component of the educational experience of students. Upon admission to the university, all students are assigned to an academic advisor. Academic advisors at Purdue University Northwest are committed to providing students accurate and timely academic advisement delivered through academic departments and colleges, as well as through Exploratory Advising.
Through collaborative relationships with assigned academic advisors, students learn to define and implement strategic and efficient educational plans that are consistent with their personal values, goals, abilities and career plans. Effectiveness in advising requires that students and advisors jointly engage in this process together. It is recommended that students consult with their advisors at least once a semester to clarify effective progress towards a degree. Academic Advisors also serve as a resource to students in many other ways, including assisting students in:
- Clarifying life and career goals
- Assessing individual academic abilities
- Developing suitable educational plans
- Selecting appropriate courses and complementary educational experiences
- Interpreting institutional requirements
- Enhancing awareness of available educational resources (such as internship opportunities, honors curriculum, service learning, experiential learning, supplemental instruction, and tutoring programs)
- Evaluating progress toward established goals
- Assisting with completing degree requirements in a timely manner
- Identifying barriers to academic success
- Seeking out and referring to support services in the institution and the community