As part of our ongoing commitment to campus safety and well-being and in accordance with Purdue University Policies, Purdue University Northwest has created a Student Behavioral Intervention Team (SBIT). SBIT provides a formalized institutional structure for a multidisciplinary team to identify and address potential student behavioral concerns.
The goals of SBIT include:
- Review reports of concerning behavior from the Campus community in order to provide early intervention to insure the health, safety, and success of Purdue University Northwest students.
- Develop comprehensive support plans that focus on mitigating risks and promotes student well-being and academic success within Purdue University Policies.
Standing members of SBIT include:
- Lisa Goodnight, Ph.D., Associate Vice Chancellor for Student affairs and Senior Dean of Students
- Andrew Pettee, Director of Student Assistance, Leadership, and Conduct for Hammond
- John Weber, Dean of Students for Westville
- Kenneth Jackson, Ph.D., Executive Director of the Counseling Center
- Scott Iverson, Executive Director of Housing and Residential Education
- Debra Wysong, Director of the Disability Access Center
- Brian Miller, Director of Public Safety
- Patricia Nowak, Chief of Purdue University Northwest Police
Other members of the University community may be included depending upon the case. Members meet each week and in emergency circumstances.
Specific SBIT Responsibilities (as described by Purdue University, Dean of Students Office):
- Receive and review information about concerns regarding student behavior that is potentially harmful and/or disruptive to the University community.
- Perform initial assessment of risk and develop a support plan, within existing University policies, to mitigate risk and promote student well-being and success. Provide follow-up and assessment of support.
- Make recommendations for action and share information with University faculty, staff, and others, as appropriate, to assist with managing potentially harmful or disruptive behavior.
- Identify University policy and procedural issues and recommend changes to appropriate entities.
- Review SBIT procedures and protocols, and assess team effectiveness and compliance with University policies.