Prospective Counseling Students

Interested in a PNW counseling program? Application and program information is below!

Explore Programs

See How to Apply


The Call of Counseling

You are entering a unique field of study; it is unlike many other graduate degrees. A Master’s in Education: Concentration in Counseling is considered a terminal professional degree that requires specific training to assure you are competent to practice. You will literally have people’s well-being in your hands.

Consequently, our program involves a rigorous sequence of courses. To be successful, you are required to attend classes regularly and arrive on time.

As professional counselors, your professors are ethically responsible to serve as gatekeepers for our field. We are dedicated to training competent, ethical, and knowledgeable counselors. We expect the same commitment from our students.


GRE scores must be sent in addition to the necessary admission requirements.

Scholarships are available through the Purdue University Northwest, American Counseling Association, and Chi Sigma Iota.

Lisa Hollingsworth is the program director and is always happy to discuss the prospect of graduate school. Schedule your appointment with her by email:

Yes. Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling are CACREP accredited. The Addictions Certification program is ICAADA accredited.

Your advisor will meet with you before you apply for a program to provide you with information about the application process, course requirements, and licensure requirements.  If you would like, your advisor will help connect you with current students so that you may obtain the student perspective about our programs. S/he will also work with you to assure you are taking courses in the appropriate progression and to assist you in registering for courses as needed.  Your advisor is your “go to”person for any questions that you have while in the program. In addition, s/he assists you with the process of preparing for graduation.

If you are interested in transferring to one of our programs, Lisa Hollingsworth will review your transcript and course syllabi (if available) to determine which courses would transfer and meet our accreditation requirements.  Courses taken for a completed graduate degree at another university cannot be transferred. You would also need to complete the application process for admission into a program.

Prospective students who are interested in reviewing syllabi for our courses should contact Lisa Hollingsworth at to make those requests.

Chi Sigma Iota, an international honor society of professional counseling and for professional counselors, is an extracurricular activity that most students partake in to grow professionally while giving back to the community through philanthropic events. Alumni also have a chance to share their experiences out in the field with current students.

Yes. Aside from students utilizing the Community Counseling Center for counseling individuals in the community, the space doubles as a library and meeting place for current students. The facility is fully equipped with a library, 4 counseling rooms, an office with the capacity to print, a conference room with observation software, and a kitchenette. Only students of CACREP counseling programs are eligible to use the space.  Other graduate students from the School of Education and Counseling programs are also welcomed to use the Education Resource Center (ERC) in Gyte Annex 127.

You can find more information in regards to student employment on the Student Employment webpage.