What Is TRIO Talent Search/Success Through Education?
Federally funded by the U.S. Department of Education, Talent Search, known locally as Success Through Education, is a Federal TRIO Program designed to assist participants in completing high school and pursuing postsecondary education or training opportunities. The program, sponsored by Purdue Northwest, serves 679 students in LaPorte, Porter, and Starke counties in Indiana. Talent Search also assists adults who are looking to enter postsecondary programs.
Who May Participate?
Two-thirds of all Talent Search (TS) participants must be low-income (according to federal guidelines) and first generation (neither parent has a four-year degree). The remaining participants are considered discretionary and do not have to meet the restrictive criteria of the two-thirds TS participants. Individuals, 6th grade to adult, are encouraged to apply for program services.
What Services Are Available?
- Academic, financial literacy, career and educational advising
- High school trips to colleges, universities and cultural centers
- Activities for sixth, seventh, and eighth graders
- Assistance in completing college applications and financial aid forms
- Help in finding scholarships
- Access to educational and career material
- One-on-one assistance
- SAT/ACT assistance and fee waivers