Reliability of Solar Cells
We are investigating the effect of temperature, mechanical damage (cracks), and microstructure on the performance of thin-film flexible solar cells. This project has been funded by Purdue PRF grant and PNW summer research grant.
- Hansung Kim, Da Xu, Ciby John, Yaqiong Wu, “Modeling Thermo-Mechanical Stress of CIGS Solar Cells,” IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, Vol. 9, no.2, pp. 499-505, Mar 2019.
- Hansung Kim and Benjamin. G. Wojkovich, “Effects of Mechanical Damage and Temperature on the Electrical Performance of CIGS Thin-Film Solar Cells,” IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1331-1336, Sep 2018.
- Hansung Kim, MD Tofiq Tofail, and Ciby John, “The Effect of Interface Cracks on the Electrical Performance of Solar Cells,” JOM, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 473-478, Apr 2018.
Facilities and Equipment
- Environmental chamber, Solar cell (module) analyzer, Infrared camera (Crack detection), Solar simulator (Metal hallide and Tungsten Halogen), Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM), Light spectrum analyzer (Prof. Kim’s Laboratory)
- Facilities supported by Department
- Facilities supported by Purdue university
Solar Powered Electric Vehicle
We are building solar powered EV for Shell Eco- Marathon Competition. This project has been funded by NASA Indiana Space Consortium.
|Solar-powered EV with seniors||Solar-powered EV with seniors2|
|Current picture of solar powered EV||3D model of solar powered EV|
|3D model of solar powered EV frame||3D model of powertrain|
Modeling and Characterization of Bio/Energy Materials
We are investigating the behaviors of Bio/Energy materials through modeling and experiments. This project has been supported by NASA Indiana Space Consortium and PNW college of ES grant.
|AFM image of Hydrogel and silicon samples||Prof. Kim is investigating the grain boundaries of silicon in the cleanroom of Birck Nanotechnology center.|
Lifetime Prediction of Electronic Devices
We are investigating the effect of temperature, humidity, and chemical corrosion on the lifetime of electronic devices. This project has been funded by Naval Sea Systems Command.
|Overall Process of lifetime prediction|
|Lifetime prediction of 3904 NPN transistor at 150℃ based on 200 ℃ and 250℃ experiments||Prediction of Mean Time to Failure (MTTF) of a bipolar transistor at different temperatures|