Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS) awards are a form of aid for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need allowing you to earn money to pay for a portion of your educational expenses.

  • Funds are paid directly to you, typically every two weeks
  • FWS awards are not a job guarantee or a guarantee you will earn the entire award amount if hired
  • The amount you earn may not exceed your total FWS award

Students may work on campus (Hammond or Westville) or off campus. If you work off-campus, your employer will usually be a private nonprofit organization or a public agency, and the work performed must be in the public interest.  When assigning work hours, your supervisor will consider your award amount, your class schedule, and your academic progress. Students may not work during class time.

  • Answer the Interested in Federal Work Study question on the FAFSA with a ‘yes’ or ‘don’t know’ to receive first consideration
  • Contact the Office of Financial Aid if you are interested in being offered Federal Work Study
    • Once you are awarded Federal Work Study, either accept or decline the award offer
    • Awards not accepted will eventually be cancelled and offered to other students
  • If you have accepted your Federal Work Study award, you may search for federal work study eligible positions via the Student Careers Portal.
    • Actively enrolled degree seeking students may also search Handshake for additional student employment opportunities that are both on campus and with approved off campus community partners who participate in the Federal Work Study Program.
Students holding a Jennie Hamilton Scholarship check

Federal Work Study Positions

Search for federal work study eligible positions via the Student Careers Portal.

Search For Positions