Verification and Requirements
Verification is a process intended to improve the accuracy of the data submitted on the FAFSA. You may be selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education or your school. If you are selected for verification, the Office of Financial Aid will ask for the required documentation needed to verify your FAFSA data.
- 2022-23 Verification Forms (for students attending fall 2022. spring 2023 and summer 2023)
- 2021-22 Verification Forms (for students attending fall 2021, spring 2022 and summer 2022)
If there are differences between your FAFSA data and your documents, corrections to your FAFSA may be necessary. Verification processing time varies depending on the volume of verification files and the time of year. Turn in your documents as early as possible to complete your file.
Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) if eligible. Unchanged IRS DRT tax information often reduces the time to complete verification. Most students who are ineligible or choose not to use the IRS DRT will have to provide tax information.
- Students and parents selected for verification in 2022-23 who were unable to use the IRS DRT should turn in their 2020 Tax Returns or Tax Return Transcripts
- Students and parents selected for verification in 2021-22 who were unable to use the IRS DRT should turn in their 2019 Tax Returns or Tax Return Transcripts
Tax Return Transcripts are available for order on the IRS webpage Get Transcript. You may also request a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS by calling 800-908-9946.
Deadlines for the 2022-23 academic year for students who are selected for verification or who have unsatisfied requirements:
- Federal Application (FAFSA) Deadline – 6/30/23
- Indiana Filing Deadline for most state financial aid – 4/15/22
- Verification Deadline (latest date to turn in verification documents) – 9/1/23
Deadlines for the 2021-22 academic year for students who are selected for verification or who have unsatisfied requirements:
- Federal Application (FAFSA) Deadline – 6/30/22
- Indiana Filing Deadline for most state financial aid – 4/15/21
- Verification Deadline (latest date to turn in verification documents) – 9/1/22
Failure to meet the verification deadline may result in not being offered federal or state financial aid. Students may be selected for verification after receiving an official financial aid offer resulting in a cancellation of aid until verification is completed. Changes in a student’s Expected Family Contribution may impact federal and state aid eligibility.
Even if you are not selected for verification, you may have outstanding requirements that must be satisfied before your financial aid is finalized. Students who have outstanding requirements or are selected for verification will receive an estimated financial aid offer. Estimated aid may be revised and will not be paid to your account. Once all requirements have been met, you will receive an official financial aid offer. Students will be notified by message(s) in Student Self-Service via the myPNW portal and by email of changes to their financial aid.
- Financial aid offers are developed to help students meet estimated educational expenses according to federal, state and institutional regulations
- Initial financial aid offers are based on available funds and full-time enrollment
- Aid offers will be adjusted based on actual enrollment at the Financial Aid Census Date each term
- Purdue University Northwest may revise or cancel awards if funds are unavailable, your FAFSA has incorrect data, your enrollment changes or your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) changes
- Financial aid is first applied to all charges on your university student account
- See our guide to checking for required documents