Interested in a graduate program or certificate at Purdue University Northwest? See answers to graduate FAQs.

What financial support is available?

A graduate student may qualify for loans, graduate assistant positions and/or research awards.

Graduate staff positions offer a tuition remission and a small monthly stipend. Graduate staff may work as teaching assistants, research assistants or graduate professionals. These positions are very competitive, since there are far more applicants than positions available.

To be eligible to hold a graduate staff position, an individual must be enrolled as a graduate student in a degree-seeking or teacher licensure program and be registered for at least three graduate level credit hours (50000 or above) of course and/or research work during the entire appointment period.

Graduate staff positions are either on a quarter-time or half-time basis. Any one position over half-time or any combination of positions totaling over half-time will require pre-approval from the Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs. Health insurance is not available to graduate staff.

See Graduate Staff Position Details 

Interested in obtaining graduate staff? Inquire within your department and/or the Career Center.

Learn more about loan options

How do I qualify for in-state (resident) tuition?

Please consult the Office of Registrar website for information on qualifying for in-state tuition.

What is the minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) required for admission?

The Graduate School requires all students to possess a minimum of a 3.0/4.0 GPA (A=4.0) in order to be admitted without conditions.  Additionally, each academic department sets its own admission requirements; some departments have a minimum GPA requirement and others do not. To determine if your program of interest has a GPA requirement above the Graduate School’s minimum requirement, check with your program of interest.

Who is required to provide proof of English proficiency?

International applicants whose native language is not English are required to provide proof of English proficiency for admission to degree, certificate, non-degree and teacher-license graduate programs.

The Graduate School accepts valid* TOEFL scores earned through the paper-delivered test and Internet-based test.  PNW’s TOEFL code is 1638.

The minimum Internet-Based (iBT) scores required are the following:

  • Writing  18
  • Speaking  18
  • Listening  14
  • Reading  19
  • Total  80

The minimum paper-delivered section requirements are the following (overall score is no longer reported):

  • Reading  19
  • Listening  14
  • Writing  18

Please note: in addition to the required iBT minimum scores for writing, listening and reading, the Graduate School also requires a minimum overall iBT score that is higher than the minimums for the four area tests combined. Applicants must meet or exceed each of the five scores (listed above) for admission to the Graduate School.

Some graduate programs require higher minimum scores.  Please check the Graduate Programs Web page for additional requirements.  Only official TOEFL scores received directly from Educational Testing Service are acceptable.  For further information, visit www.toefl.org.

The Graduate School also accepts valid* International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores (Academic Module).

An overall band score of 6.5 is required for admission with the following minimum section requirements:

  • Reading  6.5
  • Listening  6.0
  • Speaking  6.0
  • Writing  5.5

For more information, visit www.ielts.org.  The official test score report can uploaded to the online application under “Miscellaneous Supporting Documents” and a hard copy score report can be mailed directly to the PNW Graduate Studies Office.

*To be valid for admission, English proficiency test scores (TOEFL and IELTS) must be no more than two years old at the time the recommendation for admission is received at the Graduate School.

These results must be certified, in writing, by the intensive English program faculty to the Graduate Studies Office before applicants using this method of establishing English proficiency may be admitted to the Graduate School.

Exit Requirement: Achieve a minimum of 80% (Level 4 examination) and pass an Exit Test (consisting of speaking and writing components).

Learn more about PNW’s English-Language Program

The Graduate School will routinely waive the English Proficiency testing requirement for applicants who have received a baccalaureate degree or graduate or professional degree, within the last 36 months at the time of recommendation for admission, from a school where English is the primary language of instruction in a country/location where English is the native language.  Some graduate programs may still require a test of English proficiency for admission; please confirm with your department whether they will also grant this waiver.

If you are admitted under this waiver and are still finishing your degree, you must satisfactorily complete your degree and submit a final official transcript showing that this degree has been awarded BEFORE the Office of Global Engagement can produce your US immigration document (I-20 or DS-2019) or before you can enroll in courses at Purdue University Northwest.

Official English-speaking countries/locations,  in addition to the U.S., include:

AnguillaGrenadaSierra Leone
Antiqua and BarbudaGuyanaSingapore
AustraliaIsle of ManSouth Sudan
BahamasJamaicaSt. Helena
BarbadosKenyaSt. Kitts and Nevis
BelizeLesothoSt. Lucia
BermudaLiberiaSt. Vincent and Grenadines
British Virgin IslandMicronesiaSouth Africa
Cayman IslandsNew ZealandThe Gambia
Christmas IslandNigeriaTrinidad and Tobago
Cook IslandsNorfolk IslandTurks and Caicos Islands
DominicaPapua New GuineaUganda
FijiPhilippinesUnited Kingdom
GhanaPitcairn IslandsZambia
GibraltarRepublic of IrelandZimbabwe