The Department of Housing and Residential Education is proud to announce Recycle U!
We are very excied to offer recycling services to all students living in University Village! We are excited to have a recycling program that will benifit the environment as well as make it easy for our residnets to be environmentally friendly. We have expanded our recycling program to ensure that we meet the goals that were established by the Indiana 1990 General Assembly for recycling and waste reduction. This new program will support recycling of glass, plastics, metals, office paper, and cardboard. The University Village’s Recycling Program is managed by our Building Services staff. It was developed to provide a means for the University to minimize solid waste and promote recycling!
The Recycle U program will offer recycle pick up from your apartment, every Thursday (except when the office is closed/University Holidays) from 10:00am-11:30am. Just leave it outside your apartment door during this time and we will pick it up!
Participating in the Recycle U Program is Easy with these Three Easy Steps:
Please leave your bag of recyclables here between the times of 10pm on Wednesday and 10am on Thursday:
By following some of our recycling tips, you can make a difference in not only the University Village environment but PNW as a whole! If in doubt about what to recycle, refer to these handouts or do a quick google search, google is always there to help! (click on the images below to make them bigger)
Print out PDF: University Village Recycling Process
When recycling, please remember these important steps…
- Rinse food from containers
- Breakdown large items to maximize space
- Aerosol cans must be empty
- Plastic containers must be empty
- Glass containers must be empty
- Take lables off all cans/glass jars
What WILL NOT Recycle…
- Hardcover books
- paper towels
- paper soiled with food or liquid
- paper with a lot of tape and glue
- plastic- or wax-coated paper
- photographic paper
- frozen food containers
- NO TAKE-OUT OR DELIVERY pizza boxes
- plastic bags
- shower curtains
- containers that held dangerous or corrosive chemicals
- plastic tubes (toothpaste, lotion, and cosmetics)
- single-serve food and drink squeezable pouches
- disposable razors
- 3-ring binders
- sports balls
- plate glass
- light bulbs
- extension cords/ethernet cords
As a University Village resident, you can also do your part by…
- Printing double sided in the computer lab
- Keeping your mailing lists updated or going paperless!
- Use reusable containers for food storage/packing your lunch
- Purchase in bulk whenever possible
- Contact your RA to set up an event to promote recycling in the UV and at PNW!
If you need more information or assistance with recycling on campus, please contact Facilities Manager, Jeremy Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org