The Resident Assistant (RA) is a unique, live-in, student leadership position in the Department of Housing and Residence Life and is an important member of the Residence Life team. The primary responsibility of the RA is to help residents have a positive residence hall experience at Purdue University Northwest.
Generally, the RA is an undergraduate student who works with a group of 25-60 residents and has numerous leadership roles including peer ally, teacher, community builder, programmer, resource informant, role model, and authority figure. They are paraprofessional graduate and undergraduate staff members who are responsible for establishing and maintaining an atmosphere which will promote the educational, social, cultural and personal development of residents, and project a sense of caring and concern for the community as a whole.
Scroll down to find out more about being an RA!
Join Our Team- APPLY TODAY!
To become a Resident Assistant, you must complete an online application and participate fully in the selection process (please see the timeline/application below). Students will be notified via email when the Housing department is accepting applications. Our selection processes take place three times a year: once in the Fall (near October) and twice in the Spring (January and April).
The Department of Housing & Residential Education is excited to announce the opening of the Resident Assistant position for the Summer of 2019 as well as the 2019-2020 Academic Year! We are looking for excited, passionate and eager students to help our community grow and develop! You can connect with others while building lifelong skills! For a brief view of the job description and the application (detailed job description can be found in the application), please click here:
Applications are due Friday, February 15th, 2019 at 5:00pm
- Undergraduate Resident Assistants will enroll and successfully complete at least twelve (12) academic credits per semester at Purdue University Northwest throughout their employment. Graduate student Resident Assistants are required to enroll in and complete eight (8) academic credits per academic year throughout their employment. Courses must be taken for letter grade. If a Resident Assistant falls below the required 12/8 credits, he/she will need to resign from their position.
- Maintain at least a 2.5 cumulative grade point average and a 2.5 semester grade point average
- Maintain good HRE resident conduct and PNW student conduct standing
- Must have a passion for serving the Purdue University Northwest Community
- Applicants must have completed one (1) semester as an enrolled student at Purdue University Northwest prior to their start date and must hold a Housing and Residential Education Contract throughout the term of employment. Each Resident Assistant will also be required to have a $200.00 housing deposit on file
Successful Candidates: Successful candidates will demonstrate the following skills throughout the selection process:
- Interest in the lives of individual residents, their feelings, needs, and rights
- Commitment to the full development of students’ academic pursuits and personal growth in and out of the classroom
- Commitment to the mission and vision of the Department of Housing and Residential Education at Purdue University Northwest
- Effective leadership
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Sense of self-awareness and awareness of others
- Exemplify the characteristics of a strong role model
- Willingness to learn and make mistakes
|October||Spring Semester Applications Available (if positions available)|
|January||Summer and Fall/Spring Applications Available|
|February||Group Process Sessions & Interviews Conducted|
|March||Position Offers Extended|