Explore these frequently asked questions for answers regarding employment, retirement, learning and development and more.

Don’t see an answer to your question? Contact HR or visit the staff directory on myPNW.


Employee contributions to their HSA account can be changed throughout the calendar year. To change your pretax contribution to your Health Savings Account, log into BenefitFocus and navigate to the health savings account section.

HSA Bank administers all of Purdue’s spending and savings accounts. (FSA, LPFSA, HSA, HRA, DCFSA) To check the balance of your spending or savings account, log into your HSA Bank online account.  (If you have not already done so, you will need to register your account first.)

To receive services at the lowest cost, it is always best to select services from those that are in network. This document, How to Search for an In Network Medical or Dental Provider, provides instructions for searching for in network medical providers, dental providers as well as providers in the new HealthSync network.

Contributions to voluntary retirement accounts with Fidelity Investments must be made directly with Fidelity. You can do so by logging into your Fidelity net benefits account or contacting Fidelity Investor Center at 800-544-6868 for assistance.

The IRS determines eligibility requirements for Health Savings Accounts. If an individual is NOT eligible to have a Health Savings Account, this means NO contributions can be made (employer or employee) pretax to an HSA. See this interactive flow to determine if you qualify. 

Employees who have been employed with Purdue for at least one year, have worked at least 1,250 hours in the previous twelve month period and have not exhausted the allowable FMLA allotment in the previous twelve month period may be eligible for job protected FMLA leave due to a serious health condition or to care for a family member with a serious health condition. Intermittent, reduced schedule and continuous leaves more than three days in duration may qualify. Please contact your Benefits Administrator for more information.

Children can be covered on most insurance until reaching age 26. Medical, Prescription Drug, Lab, Vision and Dental insurance benefits end on the last day of the month in which the individual turns 26. No action needs to be taken. The dependent will be dropped from insurance and the individual will be sent COBRA continuation of coverage information shortly following the last day of coverage. See this document for more detailed information. 

Employee Wellness

If you are currently receiving contributions to an HSA (Health Saving Account), the funds will be deposited into your account monthly when eligible.

If you are not eligible to receive contributions to an HSA, an HRA (Health Reimbursement Account) will be opened for you and the funds will be deposited quarterly when eligible. An HRA will only be opened for those who are ineligible to receive contributions to an HSA. Some examples of this are as follows: A person on the Purdue Health Plan, a person taking Medicare Part A, a person opted out of Purdue’s medical plans/is on a health plan outside of Purdue.

An individual with a FSA will receive a HRA.

An HRA is a Health Reimbursement Account. HRA accounts are similar to flexible spending accounts (FSA). The funds in this account can be used for qualified medical, vision, prescription and dental expenses you pay out of pocket, like funds in a Flexible Spending Account (FSA).

You will have until the end of the year (or termination/loss of benefits date) to incur eligible expenses and 90 days from December 31 (or termination/loss of benefits date) to submit claims for reimbursement.

ID Card

Your PNW ID card is a sign of Pride, showcasing your affiliation with Purdue University Northwest! ID cards are issued to employees for uses such as:

  • Campus Fitness & Recreation
  • Campus Libraries
  • May also function as an office/building key

Please contact Facilities Services to get your Purdue Northwest photo ID card.

Request an ID Card