HVAC Strategies Related to COVID-19
June 26, 2020
Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Enhancement Strategies
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance indicates COVID- 19 is transported through human shed droplets and over short distances. CDC guidance does not indicate that COVID 19 can become a systemic pollutant in a building’s heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) system. Therefore, the following measures should not be viewed as COVID-19 mitigation strategies but as potential measures for enhancing indoor air quality in facilities.
- Re-program runtime schedules of air handling units to run 24/7 for increased air circulation and filtration.
- Increase outside air volume to air handler maximum design outside air capacity to increase filtration and dilution ventilation when classes are in session on campus.
- Upgrade to higher performance air handler filters where feasible based on unit design.
- Retrofit air handlers with better performing filter systems where feasible.
- Increase frequency of air handler and filter inspection. Change filters more frequently if needed.