Focus Group Notes
August 29, 2019
15 upperclassmen and 3 graduate were interviewed during a class meeting session. We asked students how many universities they applied to and how many they were admitted to. The median number they applied to is 2 and the range is 1 – 6. The median number they were accepted to is 1 and the range is 1 – 6.
We asked students why they chose PNW. Their answers were had the following themes:
- Cost/affordability was the most important factor to these students. The Westville campus is close to home for many students and this allows them to get their degree while they are commuting from home.
- Programs of study was also important in their decision. PNW had a Master’s degree in Biology.
We asked students how they are supported at PNW. Their answers followed these themes:
- Professors and staff are in general very supportive and caring. Professors on the Westville campus are encouraging, understanding, and willing to help students.
- The community of students on the Westville campus is supportive and like a family.
We asked students how they could be supported better at PNW. Their answers followed these themes:
- As a group the students felt that communication to students is problematic across the university. They described how they would ask three people the same question and would get three different answers. They said that communication with advisors, faculty, and staff could be improved.
- Registration and course scheduling was not adequate for all students. Night classes and a predictable schedule would help students make decisions about when they should take classes. They would also like more upper division classes at the Westville campus.