Respondus and LockDown Browser
The Respondus tool, for faculty, is an exam-creation and testing tool that can be used to import/export assessments to and from the LMS, Brightspace.
It can be accompanied by a LockDown Browser tool, for students, that prevents navigating outside a testing window during testing time.
This tool prevents a user from navigating outside the test window to search the web, print, copy, or access any other applications during the testing time.
About the Tool
- Online tests that use Respondus LockDown Browser require a separate program which needs to be downloaded by the students, not instructors.
- Please note: LockDown Browser cannot be installed on Chromebooks. If you cannot use LockDown Browser on your personal computer, please take your test on a computer in one of the following locations on campus:
- All Hammond Library Computer Labs
- All Westville Library Computer Labs
- Gyte 035, 040, 045 and 048
- Any PCs present in lounges on either campus
- Tech 054 and 265
The Respondus Instructor exam creation tool lets you create, upload, and manage exams, quizzes, or surveys. LockDown Browser can be enabled in Brightspace for students for assessments.
- Work ‘offline’ while editing and organizing your test or upload it immediately
- Convert a pre-made assessment from Microsoft Word or construct a new test in Respondus to upload seamlessly to Brightspace.
- Grab and export Brightspace quizzes to easily transfer to paper assessments.
- Enable Respondus LockDown Browser (and Monitor) for student assessments.
- NOTE: Respondus does not work on Macs.
Steps for Using Respondus to import Word tests to Brightspace
- Download the Respondus tool
- Access the Respondus tool from your computer
- Ensure your Word document is Formatted correctly for various Question Types on Respondus (PDF)
- Refer to this Troubleshooting Quiz Formats resource if you encounter problems at this step.
- Import the Word document to Respondus
- Adding Imported Word Document from Respondus to Brightspace Course
- Use a Publisher’s Test Bank to Import into Respondus
Enabling LockDown Browser for Brightspace quiz
- Setting up Respondus LockDown Browser (Instructor)
- Using Respondus LockDown Browser (Student guide)
- Setting up LockDown Browser for iPad in Brightspace (Web)
Exporting a Brightspace Exam to a Paper Test
Additional Respondus Resources & Troubleshooting Tips