Respondus & LockDown Browser/Monitor
The Respondus tool, for faculty, is an exam-creation and testing tool that can be used to import/export assessments to and from the LMS, Brightspace.
It can be accompanied by a LockDown Browser/Monitor tool, for students, that prevents navigating outside a testing window during testing time.
This tool prevents a user from navigating outside the test window to search the web, print, copy, or access any other applications during the testing time.
About the Tool
- Online tests that use Respondus LockDown Browser/Monitor require a separate program which needs to be downloaded by the students, not instructors.
- Please note: LockDown Browser/Monitor is expected to be released for Chromebooks in February of 2021. If you cannot use LockDown Browser /Monitor on your personal computer, please take your test on a computer in one of the following locations on campus:
- All Hammond Library Computer Labs
- All Westville Library Computer Labs
- Gyte 035, 040, 045 and 048
- Any PCs present in lounges on either campus
- Tech 054 and 265
The Respondus Instructor exam creation tool lets you create, upload, and manage exams, quizzes, or surveys. LockDown Browser/Monitor can be enabled in Brightspace for students for assessments.
- Work ‘offline’ while editing and organizing your test or upload it immediately
- Convert a pre-made assessment from Microsoft Word or construct a new test in Respondus to upload seamlessly to Brightspace.
- Grab and export Brightspace quizzes to easily transfer to paper assessments.
- Enable Respondus LockDown Browser (and Monitor) for student assessments.
- NOTE: Respondus does not work on Macs.
Steps for Using Respondus to import Word tests to Brightspace
- Download the Respondus tool
- Access the Respondus tool from your computer
- Ensure your Word document is Formatted correctly for various Question Types on Respondus (PDF)
- Refer to this Troubleshooting Quiz Formats resource if you encounter problems at this step.
- Import the Word document to Respondus
- Adding Imported Word Document from Respondus to Brightspace Course
- Use a Publisher’s Test Bank to Import into Respondus
Enabling LockDown Browser/Monitor for Brightspace quiz
- Setting up Respondus LockDown Browser /Monitor (Instructor)
- Using Respondus LockDown Browser/Monitor (Student guide)
- Setting up LockDown Browser for iPad in Brightspace (Web)
Exporting a Brightspace Exam to a Paper Test
Additional Respondus Resources & Troubleshooting Tips