Kaltura for Students
See how to user Kaltura to make recordings for classroom assignments, projects and more.
Supported on both Windows and Mac, Kaltura Personal Capture (also called Kaltura Desktop Recorder) has a simple user interface, requiring only one click to record.
You can record two camera inputs at once, two screens or a camera and a screen. Kaltura Personal Capture automatically uploads new videos into the Kaltura Mediaspace video portal or Kaltura Integrations with Learning and Content Management Systems.
- Log onto Blackboard by visiting the blackboard portaland choosing “student.”
- Click the My Media Link on the left hand column of the My Blackboard page.
- This will take you to the Kaltura Capture main page. To access Kaltura Desktop Recorder, click on the “Add New” button and choose “Kaltura Capture”
- If you have never used Kaltura Capture before you must download the program first. On the next screen, click on the Download for Windows link if you have a Windows machine or the Download for Mac if you have a Mac.
- Install the program with default options. Once the program is installed, refresh the page to launch Kaltura Desktop Recorder. If you are using Chrome, you may see a pop-up window asking if you would like to open Kaltura Capture. Click Open Kaltura Capture.
- Or, if using Firefox you may see a “Launch Application” popup window. Click “Open Link.” We do not recommend using Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer.
Your desktop recorder has several settings that may be adjusted prior to recording. If you computer is enabled with a web camera, you will see a camera, screen and audio icon.
Click on the arrow below the camera icon to adjust camera settings. Here you can choose which web camera is being used.
Screen Recorder Settings
Next, click on the arrow below the screen icon. If your computer has multiple screens, this will allow you to choose which screen to record.
Next, click on the arrow below the audio icon. This will allow you to choose which microphone is being used to record sound during your presentation. If you are not able to record sound during your presentation, this is where you will choose a microphone. Note that laptops often have a built in microphone. For the best results, use a headset with a microphone.
Turning Off Devices
If you do not wish to record using the web camera, click on the image of the camera. This will cause it to change color and a line to go through the icon. You can also turn off the screen recording or the microphone recording if you wish.
Starting to Record
Once you have the recording settings as you wish, click the red button to begin recording.
After you press the button, Katura capture minimize to display only recording controls and will count down from 3, 2, 1 to give you time to get into Powerpoint presentation mode or open the window you wish to record. Once the last number flashes onto the screen, recording will begin.
The desktop recorder has several controls to assist you in recording your video.
Pausing the Recording
To pause your recording, click the red button:
To access the drawing and typing tools, click the pencil icon. The drawing tool allows you to draw, type, or create arrows on the screen while recording. You can create a white board during your recording by pressing the whiteboard icon.
The gray button allows you to stop the recording.
To stop your recording, click the gray button and choose “Yes, Stop it” from the pop up menu.
A pop up window will appear. Here you can change your video’s title, as well as add a description and tags if you choose.
After you have given your video a new title, click the Save & Upload button. This will upload the video to Mediaspace where you can edit it.
If you wish to create a new recording, you can click the New Recording button at the top of this window.
Viewing and Editing Your Video
To view your video in your My Media page. Log into your Blackboard portal and choose My Media. You should see your videos listed in order by date recorded. Any video may be viewed by clicking on it.
To access video settings in order to rename a video, add collaborators or open the video editor, click on the pencil above the video you wish to edit.
To change the name of your video, click on the “Details” tab on the video settings page and typing in a new name in the name field. You can also add a more detailed description and tags to your video.
You can add collaborators or even change the owner of your video in the Collaboration tab on the video settings page. Simply click on the Collaboration tab and then click on the “Add Collaborator” button. Type in the name of the person you wish to add as a collaborator.
You can download your video by clicking on the box with the down arrow in it on your video timeline. You can also click the “Download” tab on the video settings page and choose the quality video you wish to download and then click save.
To access the video editor, click the Launch Editor button on the video settings page.
To snip the beginning of your video, play the video until to the point where you wish the video to begin. Then press the “set in” button. You can also click to any point in the video if you know the time stamp you wish to begin your video at and press the set in button.
To cut out a section from the middle of your video, click on the beginning of the portion you wish to cut out in the timeline below the video. Next, click on the scissors icon to trip the video. This will split your video into two pieces.
Next, click on where you want the cut to end and click on the scissors to make a second cut. This will split your video into three pieces:
Next, click anywhere within the piece you wish to cut out and then press the “delete” key on your keyboard. This will remove the section.
Once you’ve removed the portion of the video you wish to cut out, click the “Save a Copy” button. This will save your edits as a new video. This preserves your unedited video, just in case you aren’t happy with the changes you’ve made.
You can add a professional touch to your videos by fading the audio in and out of your video. To access this feature, click on the fade in/out button in the video editor:
Next, type in the number of seconds you would like the audio to fade in or out. You can preview your choice by pressing the play button.
If you have changed settings in the video settings screen, they will save automatically. To save editing changes made in the video editor, press the “Save a Copy” button. This will create a copy of the video with all of your edits.
Submitting Your Video
- Click on the “Write Submission” box on the assignment page.
- If you do not see a button labeled “Mashups” click on the down arrow to show more write submission options.
- Click on the Mashups button and choose Kaltura Media from the drop down menu.
- Press the “Select” button next to the video you wish to submit from the list of videos in your mediaspace. Or, if you have not uploaded your video into mediaspace already, click the “Add New” button to upload your video.
- You should she a screenshot of your video in the text submission box. Press the submit button to submit your video to the assignment.
How to Add a Video to a Discussion Post
- Go to the discussion forum in Blackboard where you need to post your video. Click on the Create Thread button or if you need to post the video in response to someone else’s post, you can click on their post an click the Reply button.
- On the next page, you will see an area where you can type your new thread or reply. Click on the “Mashups” button and choose Kaltura Media from the drop down menu.
- A pop up window will appear displaying your Kaltura Mediaspace. If you have previously uploaded a video to your Mediaspace you should see it here. Click the select button next to the video you wish to add. If the video you need is not present or you wish to record a new video, click Add New.
- In the Add New menu, choose Media upload if you have a video file (.mp4) to upload.
- Click the Choose file to Upload button or drag your file into the window.
- On the next screen, enter the title of your video and a description if you wish. Click the “Save and Embed” button to attach the video to your discussion post.
- This will attach your presentation to your discussion post. You can then finish typing your post and hit the submit button. Now, when anyone clicks on your post they should be able to watch the video you attached directly in blackboard.