Going Global! International Programs at Purdue Calumet
Going Global! is an initiative of the International Affairs Office (IAO) at Purdue University Calumet aimed at encouraging cultural exchange and keeping our international population involved on campus and in the greater community. We offer a variety of cultural, educational, service and social programming on and off campus, for Americans and international students alike, whereby international students will enhance their American educational experience, make friends, and contribute to the globalization of Purdue Calumet and the surrounding community.
The possibilities are endless with Going Global!
- Looking to make friends with an American family, or to become a volunteer “host friend” for an international student? Take a look at our Global Exchange Friendship Program.
- Interested in sharing your culture and language with Americans, young and old alike, throughout Northwest Indiana? Sign up to become an International Student Ambassador.
- Would you like to educate others about current events in your home country or about your culture during a special time of year? Sign up to give a presentation at one of our weekly World On Wednesday (WOW!) sessions.
- Want to explore different tastes, languages and cultures of the world without having to leave campus? Be sure to visit one of our monthly International Coffee Corner events.
- And if you have a special interest in assisting our staff and working with international students, then you are invited to become an IPO volunteer.
The opportunities abound with Going Global! for international students and Americans alike to build everlasting connections and for students to make the college experience a positive and life-changing adventure.
International Student (and Cultural) Ambassador Program – (NEW!)
The International Student (And Cultural) Ambassador Program sends international students in groups out in the community – to schools, businesses, churches, bookstores, community centers, civic organizations, and more – to share information about their countries and cultures. Through presentations, demonstrations, question/answer sessions, display tables (at festivals), etc., international students are able to serve as ambassadors for their countries.
Covered topics may include but are not limited to:
- daily life,
- family life,
- arts and crafts,
- impressions of US,
- telling stories,
- business practices,
- basic foreign language lessons.
World on Wednesdays (WOW) is a weekly forum for student, staff, and faculty-led presentations (informal conversations), featuring a different topic of global interest each week. All are welcome to participate as presenters, guest lecturers and conversation leaders, or to attend as audience members.
International Coffee Corner
Each month the International Programs hosts International Coffee Corner, which invites members of the PUC and surrounding communities to explore different countries, cultures, and language in an informal setting with coffee, tea, and snacks from around the world.
International Programs Volunteers
PUC students, staff, and local community members invited to volunteer with International Programs for the unique opportunity to participate in cross-cultural programs and work with international students. Volunteer opportunities include: Airport Pick-Ups and New International Student Orientation, field trips and on-campus events, cultural presentations, and host friendships.
IPO Passport Program
American and international students alike are invited to participate in the IPO Passport Program and earn rewards for participating in IPO-sponsored events and activities. IPO Passports are available in CLO 176 during the Fall and Spring semesters.
To learn more about International Programs, please visit us in the International Affairs Office, CLO 176. You may also reach us by email at email@example.com