The cost of medical treatment is very high in the USA. If you become seriously ill or injured without health insurance, you may need to pay thousands of dollars for medical treatment. J-1 visa holders, F-1 graduate and ELP students are required to have insurance per University Policy.
Therefore, it is important and strongly recommended by ISS that you purchase and maintain adequate health insurance for yourself and for any of your dependents as required.
Even if you are not required to be enrolled in an insurance plan, you are strongly encouraged to do so. A simple visit to the doctor can easily reach hundreds of dollars in costs and emergency room visits can cost thousands. You are free to enroll in any international insurance plan for students and scholars you like as long as it meets the minimum requirements of:
- $50,000 medical evacuation coverage
- $ 25,000 repatriation coverage
- $100,000 benefit per injury
- Maximum $500 deductible per accident or illness
Purdue Northwest’s preferred insurance company is called International Student Insurance. You can view the plan and purchase details at International Student Insurance.
Warning: Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered for the first 12 months. If you have a medical condition now that you are or have been treated for, consider keeping the insurance you have as a new plan will not cover you for any medical expenses associated with the pre-existing condition for the first year.
- International Student Guide
- Maintaining Legal Status
- Academic Honesty
- Student Request Form (Address, Major Changes)
- Driver’s License
- On-Campus Employment Information
- Getting a Social security Number
- CPT Overview and Application Procedures
- OPT Overview and Application Procedures
- Reduced Course Load Authorization
- Travel Endorsements
- Travel Instructions
- Travel Instructions to Canada or Mexico
- Change of Status
- Change of Educational Level
- Transfer Out
- Transfer In
- Departure Form
- Filing Taxes
- Insurance Requirements / Info
- Health Center / Maintaining healthy living
- Counseling Center
- Dean of Students / Student Advocate
- Fitness Center