The cost of medical treatment is very high in the USA. If you become seriously ill or injured without health insurance, you may need to pay thousands of dollars for medical treatment.
*J-1 visa holders (and dependents), Graduate Students and English Program (ELP) Students are REQUIRED to have health insurance.
*Undergraduate students are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to carry health insurance as well.
The insurance plan must be specifically designed for international students and include medical evacuation and repatriation coverage. The minimum requirements for coverage are:
- $50,000 medical evacuation coverage
- $25,000 repatriation coverage
- $100,000 benefit per injury
- Maximum $500 deductible per accident or illness
- A.M Best Rating of “A-“
- Ins. Solvency International “A” or better
- Standard and Poor’s Claims paying ability “A-“or better
- Weiss Research, Inc. “B+” or better
Purdue University Northwest has a preferred insurance plan for international students. To find more details about International Student Insurance, please come to our office in CLO 176 and pick up a brochure or go to the website set up for PNW students.
You can choose the insurance plan offered by International Student Insurance through Purdue Northwest or choose your own, as long as it is specifically designed for international students.