F-1 students are only eligible to apply for a Social Security number (SSN) if they have been approved for on campus employment or practical training (CPT or OPT).
Proof of On-Campus Employment
Request a “Supporting Letter for F-1 Student Employment on Campus” form from the ISS Office once the employment is official and you have an on-campus job. The employing department must first verify employment and sign and date the form. The ISS Immigration Advisor (DSO) will then, after verifying on-campus employment, also sign and date the form. Students may then take the form to the Social Security Administration Office and apply for a Social Security card. You may begin work while waiting to receive your social security card. You must report your new on-campus job immediately to the Human Resources office in Room 1005 of the Schneider Avenue Building (SAB).
Proof of Off-Campus Practical Training
Proof of off-campus employment requires that F-1 students show the current work authorization on their I-20 for either Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT). For students on OPT, they will also need to show a copy of their employment authorization document issued by USCIS. These students do not need to show the form listed above. Both CPT and OPT must be authorized through the ISS Immigration Advisers (DSO).
Items to take to apply for your Social Security Number:
- Form I-94
- Form I-20
- Completed and signed Student Employment Form
- Student ID card (PUID card)
You will not be able to get a Social Security Number if one of the above items is missing. You must wait at least TWO WEEKS from the date on your I-94 card to apply for your Social Security number.
Location of the Social Security Office in Hammond:
Social Security Administration Office
418 Douglas Street, Hammond, Indiana
To find the location of Social Security offices in other cities, visit the website.
- You will only be able to apply for a Social Security number between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday – Friday. Be prepared to wait for your turn to apply. The office is very busy!
- Do not carry your Social Security card with you. Keep it in a safe place and memorize your Social Security number.
- Do not give your Social Security number to anyone unless it involves your employment. Contact the International Students and Scholars Office if you are asked to give your SSN.
Do report to Human Resources, in SAB 1005, with your Social Security card so that your employment records can be officially completed