MLK50 Forward: Together We Win with Love for Humanity
Free events open to the public
Monday, January 15, 2018
8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
James B. Dworkin Student Services & Activities Complex, Great Hall
1401 S. U.S. 421, Westville, Indiana
Tuesday, January 16, 2018
10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Student Union and Library Building, 3rd Floor, Alumni Hall
2233 173rd Street, Hammond, Indiana
Both programs will feature Regina Biddings-Muro, emcee.
Schedule of Events
- Welcoming Remarks: Thomas L. Keon, Chancellor
- Emcee: Regina Biddings-Muro
- Keynote: Honorable Gonzalo P. Curiel
- Performances by:
- Vocalist: PNW student Casey (C.J. Musique) Baker
- Guitarist: Angelo Cicco
For further information
To obtain more information about these activities contact Laura S. Odom, PNW associate director, Office of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion at (219) 785-5545 or email@example.com. To request a disability related accommodation for these events, please contact the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion at Hammond (219) 989-2163 or Westville (219) 785-5545 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to our Sponsors:
- Horizon Bank
- PNW Multicultural Campus Council
- LaPorte County Herald-Argus
- The News Dispatch
- City of Michigan City Human Rights Department
- Judge Thomas Alevizos (Judge of LaPorte County Circuit Court)
- Sinai Temple
- Visit Michigan City LaPorte CVB (Convention and Visitors Bureau)
- Blue Chip Casino, Hotel & Spa
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
- 1st Source Bank
- Unity Foundation
- Lake County Bar Association
- Sondra Craig
- Jontrese Craig & Angela Thomas
- Joan Ganschow, Life Changes, LLC.
Honorable Gonzalo P. Curiel
Honorable Gonzalo P. Curiel was born in East Chicago, Indiana in 1953 and was the youngest of four children. His parents immigrated from Jalisco, Mexico, and were naturalized citizens. Curiel graduated from Bishop Noll High School and received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Indiana University and his Juris Doctor from the Indiana University School of Law in 1979. He entered into private practice and eventually moved to California. He served as an Assistant United States Attorney in California and Chief (1999-2002) of the Narcotics Enforcement Division.
Then-California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger appointed Curiel in 2006 to the state superior court, before ascending to the federal court. President Barack Obama’s nomination arrived in November
2011 and Curiel received his commission as a United States District Judge on October 1, 2012.