The IRS/ U.S. Department of Treasury/ U.S. Government will *Never*:
- Call demanding immediate payment for an alleged tax liability.
- Call demanding payment of back taxes via MoneyGram/ Western Union Wire Transfers, prepaid debit cards, or iTunes Cards.
- Call and demand that you not discuss your tax situation with anyone or that you remain on the telephone while you obtain payment.
- Call and threaten you with arrest, deportation, lawsuits, suspension of your driver’s license, or void your college degree for failure to immediately pay your tax liability.
- Call/ email to offer you a free grant (only to then demand an up-front tax payment from you).
If you receive a telephone call with *Any* of the above characteristics:
It Is A Scam And You Need To Hang Up The Phone!
If You Were Scammed
If you have fallen victim to such a scam, please report it to the PNW Police Department and to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration online.