The development and character of a university campus are intimately related to the selection of its faculty and faculty leaders. It is the purpose of this Administrative Memorandum to define the policies that shall govern the selection of academic department chairs and to delineate a set of procedures that shall be utilized in this process.
At Purdue University Northwest responsibility for the establishment of faculty positions and the hiring of faculty is vested in the Chancellor. The Chancellor, as herein described, has the authority and has chosen to delegate specific aspects of the recruitment and selection of academic department chairs to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, College Dean and Faculty.
In keeping with academic tradition, it is hereby recognized that the origin of a nw academic department chair search shall begin with the appropriate College Dean in conjunction with the faculty within the respective academic department. It is within the department that the dialogue relative to mission, vision, strategic planning and identification of required faculty resources to carry out the given mission, vision, and strategic plan of originates. Therefore, prior to the declaration of an academic department chair, vacancy, it is expected that a thorough and ongoing department dialogue has and is taking place. The outcome of such dialogue will be communicated by the academic department to the Dean of the College in which the department resides who’s hall in turn, after discussion with all the academic department chairs withing the College, communicate the agreed upon to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
Each academic department will nominate from among tenures faculty in the respective department two or more candidates for the position of academic department chair. The appropriate Dean, in the consultation with the department faculty and the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, will select on of these candidates. At the recommendation of the College Dean, in consultation with the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, an external search may be undertaken, contingent on funding availability.
In the case of an external search, in keeping with academic tradition, the procedures outlined in this document recognize the role of the faculty through the establishment of a Search Advisory Committee to advise the respective College Dean and the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs on the selection of a new academic department chair.
The external hiring of all new academic department chairs at Purdue University North Central will be subject to the following procedures.
- After due liberation, the designated College Dean will submit to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs a request for an academic department chair position. It is expected that the request will include a written rationale for said position.
- The Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs will review with the Chancellor the overall needs for the institution to verify authorization of new appointments. This review will take place with regard to all academic chair appointment independent of landing source.
- With the concurrence of the Chancellor, the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs will provide authorization to the Dean and establish with the Dean of the College the general conditions of employment e.g. salary range, rank, discipline, tenure, status, etc.
- When it is determined that a new appointment is to be made, at the request of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, the Dean of the College in which the appointment is to be made will establish a Search Advisory Committee. The committee will be compromised of a minimum of four faculty members from the academic department, including the Dean, or designee, who shall serve as chair of the committee. The Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs may appoint up to two additional members to the committee.
- The Dean, in consultation with the Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Officer, will instruct the Search Advisory Committee on the various requirements of the search. These instructions will include, but not be limited to, the general parameters associated with the positions, procedures to be followed, advertising plan, time considerations for the search, and other guidelines as appropriate. An appropriate degree in the specified discipline will be required qualification in all academic department chair searches.
- Withing the guidelines established by the Dean, the Search Advisory Committee will determined specific criteria, a recruitment and selection action plan including, but not limited to, specific steps with timeline, person responsible and advertising in compliance with equal opportunity/affirmative action guidelines.
- The Search Advisory Committee Chair (if other than the Dean of the College) will submit in a timely manner a completed Affirmative Action Form 2, Position Announcement Form and Planning Form AA 2.1 including public notices (advertising) to the Dean of the College for approval.
- The Dean of the respective College, after signing off on the Position Announcement Form, will forward the search material to the Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Officer. The EO/AA Officer will review and approve said materials; review with and obtain signature approval from the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and the respective Dean (and Chair, if other than the Dean).
- Upon receipt of the approved paperwork, the Search Advisory Committee Chair will activate the recruitment process congruent with the approved recruitment and selection plan.
- It is expected that candidates under consideration for selection will be invented for an on-campus interview at which time they will be scheduled at a minimum for interviews with the Search Advisory Committee. College academic department chairs and Dean of the respective College. Such other activities and interviews as appropriate will be scheduled by the Search Advisory Committee.
- Upon completion of the interview process, the Chair of the Search Advisory Committee, in consultation with and on behalf of the committee, will compile an alphabetical list of the acceptable candidates including, but not limited to, the perceived strengthens and weakness of each candidate. In such case where the Dean has designated the Chair responsibilities to another person, the designee shall prepare and submit said list to the Dean.
- The Dean shall, in consultation with the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and the Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Officer, review the list of candidates submitted by the Search Advisory Committee, complete appropriate due diligence, and,
- If none of the candidates is acceptable, the Dean shall instruct the committee to submit additional names or, with the approval of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, instruct the chair of the committee to conclude the search.
- Select the candidate and, with the approval of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, in conjunction with the Chancellor, carry out the necessary negotiations relative to the offer.
- Upon acceptance of a verbal offer by the successful candidate, the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs will issue a written contract. It shall include
- Salary and rank
- Effect of previous service in determining tenure;
- Any other special circumstances concerning participation in fringe benefit prgormas;
- Specific future considerations to meet (if any);
- The statement:”The offer is contingent upon obtaining and maintaining proper U.S. employment authorizations. In addition, in accordance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, prior to your first day of employment Purdue Northwest, you will be required to produce for out inspection specific documents which verify your eligibility to work in the United States. Information on the government requirements is enclosed. Please read it carefully. Questions regarding work eligibility should be directed to the Office of Human Resources.”
- At any point in the search process, the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs may instruct the Dean and/or the Dean, after consultation with the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, may instruct the Chair of the Search Advisory Committee to resume consideration of additional candidates, including but not limited to re-advertising the position availability, or to being closure to the search.
- Receipt of a signed contract from the candidate withing the required two-week time period from the date of the offer letter will constitute acceptance of the offer.
- Upon receipt of the signed contract, the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs will ntoify the respective Dean and Search Advisory Committee Chair, if other than the Dean.
- The Search Advisory Committee Chair will prepare the Affirmative Action Form 4 and forward this document with the search log form to the Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Officer. Upon receipt and review of this documentation, the Equal Oppoirunity/Affirmative Action Officer will officially bring closure to the search,