Master's Degree in Nursing
Concentration: Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist (MSN)
Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nursing Concentration Overview
Adult-gerontology clinical nurse specialists directly manage the care of adult-gerontology patients, including health promotion, symptom management, patient education and consultation.
Purdue University Northwest’s master’s of science in nursing with a concentration adult-gerontology clinical nursing allows you to advance nursing practice within your specialty and lead efforts to integrate evidence-based practices throughout the healthcare system. Clinical nurse specialists usually practice in hospitals or outpatient settings.
Our adult-gerontology program prepares excellent graduates who hold diverse roles in the healthcare field. You’ll learn to improve patient outcomes by making an impact on patient care, nursing practice and organizational systems.
You’ll also acquire valuable experience embedding best evidence into your practice as you work with preceptors in clinical settings.
Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nursing MSN Concentration Curriculum
Begin your program with courses in advanced nursing practice, evidence-based practice, advanced pathophysiology, pharmacology and physical assessment. From this foundation, move into final-year courses where, in combination with class content, you’ll work with a preceptor of your choice to gain experience meeting CNS practice competencies.
As a part-time student, you’ll take core master’s nursing courses and begin your pathophysiology course sequence.
- NUR 50200 – Pharmacotherapeutics for Advanced Practice Nursing
- NUR 50300 – Advanced Health Assessment
- NUR 57400 – Pathophysiologic Concepts For Advanced Practice Nursing
Complete the remaining core master’s nursing courses and advanced core courses in advanced pharmacology, assessment and health promotion.
- UR 57500 – Pathophysiologic Concepts For Advanced Practice Nursing II
- NUR 51100 – Health Promotion For Advanced Practice In Nursing
- NUR 60000 – Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist I
Take AGCNS courses and clinical practicum courses. Full-time students can complete all courses in two years.
- NUR 61800 – Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist II
- NUR 62000 – Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist Practicum II
- NUR 65800 – Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist Practicum III: Clinical Synthesis
Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nursing MSN Concentration Highlights
Family nurse practitioner program graduates enter the marketplace with real-world experience and vital skills under the guidance of expert faculty. You’ll hone your ability to acquire, appraise, and implement best practices.
Our College of Nursing is home to the Indiana Center for Evidence Based Nursing Practice, an Affiliate Center of JBI.
Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nursing MSN Concentration Outcomes
As a graduate of this program, you’ll be able to:
- Synthesize nursing knowledge, patient preferences and the best available evidence to make optimal decisions
- Grow as a leader who can influence the delivery of healthcare
- Develop a professional philosophy that reflects the humanistic values of nursing
Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nursing Concentration Career Paths
AGCNS graduates have a number of career options, including:
- Management of patient populations
- Leadership roles in nursing practice
- Internal and external consulting
Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nursing Concentration Beyond the Classroom
We encourage you to get involved in organizations and activities like:
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Society for Nurses in Advanced Practice
- Sigma Theta Tau (by invitation to eligible students)
Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nursing Concentration Employers
AGCNS alumni are usually employed by hospital systems but may work in a variety of other healthcare settings.
Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nursing Concentration Scholarships
Several scholarships are available for AGCNS students, including the Lorraine Kirkley scholarship for those with an interest in cardiovascular nursing. Graduate assistantships are also available.
Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nursing Concentration Accreditation
Our program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) and the university is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. Upon graduation, you’ll be eligible to take ANCC’s AGCNS and ACCNS’ AG certification exams.
Meet the Faculty
Baker is an assistant professor in the College of Nursing. Her teaching responsibilities include coursework in both the undergraduate and graduate programs.
I am currently an associate professor and teach in both the graduate and undergraduate College of Nursing.
Earn a Master's Degree in Nursing with a Concentration in Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nursing at PNW
Whether you just completed your master’s degree or are looking to take the next step to advance your career, Purdue University Northwest’s master’s of science in nursing with a concentration in adult-gerontology clinical nursing allows you the ability to level up your skills and directly manage the care of adult-gerontology patients.
Our graduate studies staff is ready to help you take the next step! Contact us at (219) 989-2257 or firstname.lastname@example.org to see how PNW can meet your needs.