Bachelor of Arts
This program prepares you for careers in education, research, archives, management and government, as well as graduate study. Our talented faculty foster a dynamic classroom environment that brings history alive and encourages you to use your knowledge to solve contemporary problems.
Earning the History BA will give you the critical thinking, communication and analytical skills employers seek. You can apply for membership in the Phi Alpha Theta national history honor society, which provides opportunities for recognition of excellence and participation in history research conferences.
The PNW History BA meets national standards outlined by the American Historical Association. Special features of the program are its research seminar and internship opportunities. You’ll get the chance to research, write and present your work to a university committee, as well as work in local museums and historical societies.
Begin your history degree with general education core courses along with introductory and survey history classes.
- HIST 10500 – Survey Of Global History
- HIST 10600 – Introduction To History And Social Studies
Progress in your history studies by learning research methods, writing skills and historiography.
- HIST 29500 – Research And Writing In History
Deepen your knowledge of history with topical classes in American, European and world history.
- 30000-level or above US History course – select from the History Electives List
- 30000-level or above non-US History course – select from the History Electives List
- Social Ethics – select from the CHESS College Core List
Conclude your history studies with a research seminar. You’re encouraged to complete internships in regional historical societies and museums.
- HIST 49500 – Research Seminar In Historical Topics
As a History major, you’ll engage with nationally and internationally recognized faculty who create dynamic classroom experiences. You’ll gain practical experience with internship and networking opportunities in museums across Northwest Indiana and Michigan. This program also offers study abroad and national travel programs so you can expand your historical studies outside the region.
Our program enables you to:
- Gain the essential critical thinking skills employers demand
- Learn research, writing and verbal communication skills
- Acquire deep historical knowledge, understand interpretations of the past and make connections to today
- Obtain hands-on experience by working with local museum professionals
Funding opportunities available to History majors include:
- Department of History and Philosophy Study Abroad Scholarship ($1000/$2000)
- Richard Van Orman History Scholarship ($500)
Beyond the Classroom
We encourage you to get involved in professional organizations and experiences, including:
- Phi Alpha Theta national history honor society
- La Porte County Historical Museum and other historical societies and museums across Porter, La Porte, Lake and Starke counties and Southwest Michigan.
This program prepares you for a range of careers in a number of fields, such as:
- Law, government service and the not-for-profit sector
- Museums and archives
Our History BA graduates have found meaningful employment at organizations and institutions like:
- Institute for the International Education of Students
- University of Chicago, Harris School of Public Policy
- La Porte County Historical Museum
I fell in love with the people in the department and the subject in general. PNW has become a second home for me.
My history professors help me Power Onward. They all look out for their students and make sure they give their students the best they can offer.
Meet the Faculty
Associate Professor of History
I am currently the Advisor for the Masters Program. Some of my roles include course redesign projects for the Freshman Year Experience and Gateway History courses.
Professor of History
Michael J. Connolly is professor of history in the department of history and philosophy. His teaching and research involve the politics and political economy of nineteenth century America.