Bachelor's Degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management
Hospitality and Tourism Management Degree Program Overview
Purdue University Northwest’s Bachelor of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management is offered by one of the nation’s premier schools of its kind, the White Lodging School of Hospitality and Tourism Management.
This comprehensive interdisciplinary degree program builds job-relevant skills that power your future in the flourishing hospitality and tourism industry.
- Hospitality and tourism management majors experience state-of-the-art facilities outfitted with a fully functioning, professionally stocked restaurant, technology-rich classrooms, and a cutting-edge beverage lab and kitchen space.
- A multi-functional approach to the industry leads to a degree that opens doors while allowing you to focus on specific areas of the field.
Hospitality and Tourism Management Curriculum
In the hospitality and tourism management degree program, you’ll be provided with a solid business foundation alongside an in-depth study of different sectors of the industry, including food and beverage management, gaming and recreation, private club administration, travel and tourism activities and event and conference planning.
Kick off your journey with foundational courses in HTM, foods and sanitation.
- HTM 10000 – Introduction To The Hospitality And Tourism Industry
- HTM 19100 – Sanitation And Health In Foodservice, Lodging, And Tourism
- FN 20300 – Foods Selection And Preparation
Progress in your studies with business-focused courses in accounting and management.
- HTM 14100 – Financial Accounting For The Service Industries
- HTM 18100 – Lodging Management
- HTM 34100 – Cost Controls In Foodservice And Lodging
Explore marketing, human resources, food service and tourism.
- HTM 21200 – Organization And Management In The Hospitality And Tourism Industry
- HTM 23100 – Hospitality And Tourism Marketing
- HTM 24100 – Managerial Accounting And Financial Management In Hospitality Operations
Finish strong with courses that investigate the legal issues relevant to the HTM field, food and beverage development and the electives of your choice.
- HTM 30100 – Hospitality And Tourism Industry Practice
- HTM 41100 – Hospitality And Tourism Law
- HTM 49100 – Beverage Management
Hospitality and Tourism Management Degree Highlights
As part of your experiential learning requirements as a hospitality and tourism major, you’ll work with your classmates to run a real (and outstanding) restaurant that serves lunch and dinner. This experience provides training in all aspects of the job, from development to marketing to operations.
Hospitality and Tourism Management Degree Outcomes
Students in the B.S. in Hospitality and Tourism Management program gain both practical knowledge and opportunities to apply what they have learned in hands-on experiences.
Through experiential training, you’ll learn how to manage and supervise employees, accounting and business finance practices, hospitality and tourism law, sanitation and health guidelines and more advanced business and hospitality industry standards.
Hospitality and Tourism Management Career Paths
Bolstered by these skills in various sectors of the industry, graduates of the hospitality and tourism degree are prepared to begin and advance their careers in roles such as:
- Front desk manager
- Food service general or operations manager
- Lodging general or operations manager
- Event planner
- Travel and tourism agent
Hospitality and Tourism Management Hands-On Experience
Built-in practical experiences develop an applied background in the industry, including food and beverage management training through the Restaurant at Purdue University Northwest.
Hospitality and Tourism Management Program Employers
Many of our alumni are working in leadership roles for many of the world’s top hospitality and tourism brands. Graduates of the hospitality degree program now are employed in organizations and companies like:
- White Lodging
Hospitality and Tourism Management Program Scholarships
In addition to the scholarships available to all PNW applicants, students seeking a bachelor’s degree in hospitality and tourism management may also be considered for program-specific scholarship awards, such as:
- Professor Emerita Joanne Pluckebaum Endowed Scholarship
- Susan Finke Memorial
- Irene and Kostas Yiankes Scholarship
- Hospitality and Tourism Management Scholarship
Hospitality and Tourism Management Program Accreditation
PNW’s Hospitality and Tourism Management programs are accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration (ACPHA).
The program gave me versatility and knowledge on different areas in the industry... I’ve had some pretty cool classes in the HTM program.
My eventual career goal is to manage a high-end restaurant. PNW classes simulate what I would need to do in the real world, preparing me better for the future.
Meet the Faculty
Assistant Professor of Hospitality and Tourism Management
Matthew J. Bauman is an assistant professor at the White Lodging School of Hospitality and Tourism Management, College of Business at Purdue University Northwest.
Assistant Professor of Food and Nutrition
Ezra K. Mutai is an Assistant Professor of Food and Nutrition at the White Lodging School of Hospitality and Tourism Management, College of Business at Purdue University Northwest.
Clinical Professor of HTM
Earn a Bachelor's Degree in Hospitality and Tourism Management at PNW
Purdue University Northwest’s hospitality and tourism management degree enables you to reach a genuine understanding of all aspects of the industry while building a solid foundation in business management through hands-on experiences.
To see how a Bachelor’s Degree in hospitality and tourism management from PNW opens doors, from hotels to cruise ships, take the next step today!