Purdue University Northwest has implemented Initial Course Participation (ICP) in Self Service Banner (myPNW). This process enables faculty and instructors to track initial course participation/attendance, including last day of attendance on the class roster. This initiative was approved by the PNW Faculty Senate at the February 2017 meeting (FSD 16-12, Faculty Certifying Attendance). This will allow the University to meet the federal mandate on attendance/participation requirements for financial aid and develop better retention interventions for our students. Please see the federal definition of attendance/participation below.
This process for tracking course participation requires that all faculty and instructors certify attendance of all enrolled students listed on their official class rosters within the first two weeks of each semester. Initial course participation is currently available for faculty and instructors and must be completed by the end of the second week of classes.
Deadline for Spring 2019: Friday, January 18, 2019
For more information or if you have any questions about Initial Course Participation (ICP), please contact Cheryl Arroyo at (219) 989-2977.
See the Initial Course Participation (ICP) User Guide for detailed step-by-step instructions for submitting Initial Course Participation through Self Service Banner in myPNW.
What constitutes student activity?
- If a student has attended at least one class OR submitted one academic-related activity (quiz, homework, sign-in sheet, etc.), they are considered to have commenced participation for that individual course.
- Only students who have never attended at least one class or have never submitted an academic-related activity are reported by the professor as not participating in the course. Logging into BlackBoard is not considered in determining ICP, but academic activity submitted within Black Board is considered for ICP reporting.
When do faculty and instructors submit ICP alerts?
- By the end of the 2nd week of class, after which the Office of Financial Aid reviews enrollment and ICP reporting for all financial aid recipients, including students enrolled in online self-paced or open-ended courses, and adjusts the student’s financial aid as necessary.
- Individuals planning to take 8 week courses during the second half of the semester must be enrolled in them by the end of the 4th week of the regular semester.
- ICP reporting for these courses should be completed by the end of the second week of the course.
What else should faculty and instructors know about ICP?
- Although courses reported as not attending through ICP will appear on the transcript as enrolled and will be billed by the Office of the Bursar, they cannot be considered as enrollment when adjusting financial aid. If a student withdraws from the University or individual courses after the 4th week of class, further adjustments may be made to financial aid. Aid adjustments resulting from enrollment review cannot be reinstated for students who enroll in additional courses after the 4th week of class. Students who have remaining Stafford Loan eligibility however may continue to borrow.
- View detailed information regarding the federal regulations.