Through a collaboration between Purdue University Northwest and Franciscan Health, convenient access to preventive screening mammograms is available again this year. PNW is providing benefits-eligible employees an opportunity to have this screening done, in paid status, with supervisor approval.
Who is eligible for mammography screenings?
- All benefits-eligible female employees and covered female spouses at the Purdue Northwest campuses between the ages of 41 and 70, with no claims for breast cancer screening in the previous 365 days.
What does the screening event offer eligible employees?
- Employees will be provided up to 90 minutes of paid release time (with supervisor approval) during their regularly scheduled shift, to allow for travel to a designated location, for screening time, and travel back to campus.
- The employee does not need to make up the paid release time.
- Female employees on a Purdue medical plan that meet the criteria will have their 2D or 3D screening at no charge. Employees with other medical insurance will need to verify with their medical insurance carrier regarding coverage.
How does an employee participate?
The employee will complete the following steps:
- Discuss with the supervisor acceptable times to be away from the workplace and any appointment times the employee should avoid.
- Verify your eligibility to receive instructions for scheduling your appointment OR call Human Resources at (219) 989-2251. The registration deadline is September 15, 2017.
- Go to the appointment.
- Receive document from provider indicating proof of attendance (if required by supervisor).
- Record the time away as “other leave” in paid status (bi-weekly staff only).
Registered employees will provide their own transportation to their screening appointment. Those who utilize university vehicles as their main means of transportation are able to drive to and from the screening using university vehicles.
Where and when are the appointments being held?
- Franciscan Health – Michigan City
- October 2, 3 and 6: 7:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Franciscan Health – Hammond
- October 2, 3 and 6: 7:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Franciscan Health – Dyer
- October 2, 3 and 6: 7:00 am – 8:00 am and 4:00pm – 5:00 pm
- Franciscan Health Women’s Center – Chesterton
- October 2, 3 and 6: 7:00 am – 8:00 am and 3:00pm – 4:00 pm
How should our department prepare?
Establish protocol for submitting, considering and approving participation that best fits the business needs. Participation in PNW’s mammography screenings should not negatively impact attendance or an employee’s performance of job responsibilities. PNW Human Resources is available to answer questions and to help you establish procedures that will work efficiently in your area.
Does the employee have to provide proof of attending the mammography screening?
If supervisor requires proof of attendance, inform the employee. Employee can obtain verification of attendance from the provider. Release time for this event is a privilege and is not a guaranteed benefit. Employees who abuse the privilege to participate may have the privilege revoked or will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination.
If you have questions about the mammography program, please contact Human Resources at (219) 989-2251.