Our full-service, comfortable and secure labs offer an array of testing services. Whether you’re looking for an exam proctor or need to take a placement test, make-up exam or credit by exam, we’re here to help.
Student Registration Instructions
See a step-by-step guide on how to register for a student exam.
Testing Center Experience
What’s it like to visit the PNW Testing Center? See the whole experience, from start to finish!
Student Tests and Pricing
|CIS 20400 and ISM 10200||$20|
English placement must be taken in a PNW Testing Services Center. Please report with picture identification and your Purdue University ID number. Students must arrive before 2 p.m. to test.
Math placement can be completed online using the ALEKS link under the “Newly Admitted” tab in the MyPNW portal. Only some students are required to take the ALEKS math placement exam.
Per Math department policy, if there is a difference of 25+ points from one ALEKS attempt to the next, you will be required to take any remaining attempts in the testing center at Hammond or Westville.
Cost for ALEKS is $25, and the subscription includes three attempts at the test as well as learning modules.
- Please see the table below to determine appropriate placement based on SAT Math, ACT Math or ALEKS scores.
- If you have an SAT Math score of at least 490 or an ACT Math score of at least 18 (within the last three years), you do NOT need to take ALEKS in order to register for a math class.
- If your SAT Math score is below 490 or your ACT Math score is below 18 (or is older than three years), you WILL need to take ALEKS to be placed in the appropriate math class.
- If you do not agree with your math placement based on SAT/ACT math scores, you may take ALEKS to try to place into a different course.
- If you need or want to take ALEKS to register for a math course, please complete ALEKS prior to your new student orientation.
|Course||Description||SAT Math||ACT Math||ALEKS Score|
|MA 13700||Mathematics for Elementary Teachers I||520||20||>=50%|
|MA 14700||Algebra & Trigonometry for Technology I||520||20||>=50%|
|MA 14800||Algebra & Trigonometry for Technology II||560||23||>=60%|
|MA 15300||College Algebra||520||20||>=50%|
|MA 15400||Algebra & Trigonometry II||560||23||>=60%|
|MA 16300||Integrated Calculus & Analytic Geometry I||660||28||>=85%|
|MA 16019||Calculus for Technology I||610||26||>=75%|
|MA 16031||Introductory Analysis I||610||26||>=75%|
|MA 15910||Calculus for Business & Economics I||560||23||>=60%|
Foreign language placement is required for all students who need or want to take a foreign language course.
- For a $10 fee, placement for Spanish, German and French can be completed online using the WebCAPE link under the “Newly Admitted” or “Registration” tabs in the MyPNW portal.
- Placement for Japanese can be completed in the Testing Services Centers .
- Your test score will determine placement. Upon completion, student must contact the Foreign Languages Department for the credits to be applied: CLO 313 or (219) 989-2632.
- Student are then required to take and successfully pass a higher-level course in the same language.
- WebCAPE cannot be taken once a student has registered for and attended two weeks of a foreign language course.
|Course Number||Test Score Cutoff|
|Course Number||Test Score Cutoff|
|Course Number||Test Score Cutoff|
We are happy to proctor makeup exams for PNW students. If you’ll need to miss an exam due to extenuating circumstances, please discuss the option of a makeup exam in advance with your instructor, and we will proctor the exam with their approval. We can proctor both computer-based and paper-pencil exams and there is no cost to you.
It’s important you speak directly with your course instructor ahead of time for approval of makeup testing. Once we have their approval, we’ll work with your instructor to get all exam materials and instructions.
- Appointments are required. Fill out the Proctor Request Form and then call or email our Hammond or Westville locations to schedule your exam.
- Students must notify their institution that they want to take a proctored exam at PNW. Some institutions require a form to be completed by the proctor; others require web registration.
- We will contact your college/university, professor or placement testing office to complete their specific proctor-assignment process.
- Photo ID is required at the time of the exam
- There is a $25.00 charge per exam for non-Purdue students, due via cash or check form. (Purdue students include students enrolled at PNW, PFW, IUPUI, Purdue Global and Purdue West Lafayette).
- All fees for proctored testing can be paid on your test date. Visit us to receive a test payment form. A receipt will be attached to your form upon payment.
We offers the ACT Residual to individuals applying to PNW. Test scores are used by Purdue Northwest ONLY and are not retained for future reporting to other institutions.
- Registration is required in advance.
- The cost is $60, paid via cash or check form.
- The approximate testing time is approximately four hours.
- What to bring to the testing site:
- Payment Receipt from Student Accounts, Lawshe Hall, Room 130.
- Photo Identification – A driver’s license or school ID will suffice. The ID provided must have a picture. If you do not have a driver’s license or school ID, you can obtain a photo ID card from the Indiana License Bureau. Individuals without ID cannot test.
- Calculators are permitted for the ACT Residual but not required. The following are prohibited: laptops, minicomputers, electronic writing pads or pen-input devices, pocket organizers, devices with QWERTY keyboards, paper-tape printers, talking or electric plug calculators. The Testing Services Center cannot provide a calculator.
- For a sample study guide, visit www.act.org.
If you need special accommodations, please contact the Disability Access Center at least ten days prior to testing.The Testing Services Center must receive an approved accommodation letter from the Disability Access Center prior to testing.
CLEP exams evaluate non-traditional college-level education, such as independent study, correspondence work, experiential learning or credit earned at a non-regionally accredited institution. If successfully passed, this 90-minute, computerized exam allows students to receive college credit in a particular course.
CLEP credit may be established by taking the subject matter examinations shown and having an official score report sent with the qualifying exam and score to the Office of Admissions. See a complete listing of CLEP Scores/Equivalencies.
- The fee for all CLEP exams is $89, paid to College Board upon registration. Remember to bring your CLEP Registration Ticket on the day of the exam
- There is also a separate $25 non-refundable service fee in cash or check form
Any questions regarding My Account or the CLEP Exam Registration Ticket can be referred to CLEP Services at (800) 257-9558, (609) 771-7865, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The exams include a multiple choice concepts exam, along with four capstone projects in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint 2016. All five sections of the test must be completed within 210 minutes (three and one-half hours) with a passing score of 70%+.
The test-out exams are available only during specified windows, generally the two weeks prior to each semester start. Cost of the exam is $20.00.
For more information, contact your advisor or email the Testing Services Center at email@example.com.
Use this link to register for an exam. The link can also be found in the MyPNW portal and in BrightSpace.
Please choose your course by using the drop-down menus below.
- Academic or Non-Academic Exam (Choose Academic for PNW course exams)
- Choose your term
- Select a category
- Select subject
- Select course
- Choose an exam
- Choose Exam Location – select Hammond or Westville
- Choose a date
- Choose a time
- Who is taking this exam
- Phone number
Click “add to cart.” You will receive a confirmation email once all information is submitted. Text reminders will also be sent if a cell number was included.
Purdue University Northwest has testing centers on both campuses to serve the testing needs of our students, faculty and community.
Our testing centers serve as secure locations for exam administration. We ask that you adhere to general policies when testing.
Purdue University Northwest accepts credit by exam for Advanced Placement, CLEP, DANTES, ECE and International Baccalaureate exams.