- This event has passed.
Trail of Scarecrows Registration Deadline
Get ready for the 13th Annual Trail of Scarecrows! This year’s theme is Fairy Tale Characters!
School groups, scouts, businesses, families and other types of groups create scarecrows on display during the month of October at the arboretum. Entries will be on display from October 7th through October 31st, Halloween! Participation is free!
This year’s theme is Fairy Tale Characters
Photos of the scarecrows will be posted on social media and guests will vote for their favorites. Photos with the most likes will win!
- 1st prize: 10 free one-time use passes to the Gabis Arboretum
- 2nd prize: 7 free one-time use passes to the Gabis Arboretum
- 3rd prize: 5 free one-time use passes to the Gabis Arboretum
Registration deadline: Saturday, Sept. 16
Scarecrow delivery date: Week of Sept. 25th
- Any school class, group, business or family is welcome to participate.
- Entries must be original and not pre-made.
- Each entry must include a scarecrow name.
- Gabis Arboretum will install all scarecrows.
- Steel posts will be provided by the arboretum and will be capable of supporting the scarecrow in a freestanding or seated manner. All scarecrow submissions must be backed by a 2×4 piece of wood to attach the base. Scarecrow base will not exceed 3.5 ft in width or length. Height is limited to 6 ft tall.
- Do not include live plant material, mulch, Tiki torches, flammable objects or gas/electric powered generators with your entries.
- Gabis Arboretum reserves the right to use photographs, school names, contact names and scarecrow names for publicity purposes.
- Entries must be suited for viewing by small children. Entries that are controversial, commercial, political or graphic (sexual/gory/scary) in nature will not be accepted.
- Three top winners will be chosen by popular vote from the public. Pictures of the scarecrow will be posted on Facebook and likes will count as votes.
- Gabis Arboretum reserves the right to remove any scarecrow that deteriorates to an unacceptable level during the month. Please make your submission as weather-proof and indestructible as possible!
- Gabis Arboretum is not responsible for loss or damage to scarecrows while on display or in the drop-off/pick-up areas. Please do not use valuable materials/objects as the scarecrows will not be monitored.
Scarecrow pick-up is November 1 through November 4. Any remaining scarecrows will be discarded.
To request a disability-related accommodation for this event, please contact the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion at firstname.lastname@example.org or (219) 785-5545 five days prior to the event.