UV Checkout Guide: Spring 2020
As the end of the summer gets closer and closer, many of our residents will be leaving us and checking out at the end of the school year. While we are sad to see you leave, we also want to help make that process as smooth as possible!
Please read over the following to ensure you have a smooth checkout process:
Move Out Days and Times
- All Non-Summer 2020 Residents — Saturday, May 9th, 2020 by 5:00pm
- Extended Stay Approved Residents** — Wednesday, May 13th, 2020 by 5:00pm
**If you need to stay after Saturday, May 9th at 5:00pm, please submit an extended stay application by Monday, April 27th, 2020 at 5:00pm
Residents Moving Out of the University Village
You are responsible for thoroughly reading and understanding the expectations outlined in this University Village Check Out Guide. If you have roommate(s) who will be checking out after you, the expectations listed below do not change. We will expect a certain amount of belongings to remain in areas like the cupboards, refrigerator, and bathrooms. However, your personal belongings should be removed and these areas should be thoroughly cleaned and free of debris at the time of inspection. We expect you to work with your roommates to accomplish this task.
Special Notice to Residents Graduating in May:
If you are not pursuing a post graduate education at Purdue University Northwest and you have an Annual Contract, it is your responsibility to fill out a Housing Contract Release Petition Form here: https://www.pnw.edu/housing/forms/ and attach documentation that supports your graduation (i.e. letter from your advisor, etc.) and submit it to the Griffin Hall Front desk at least 10 days before the end of the semester.
In your request, you will need to identify your requested move out date. If your move out date is past the May 9, 2020, move out date, you may be charged a daily rate. If you have any questions, please contact Jacqueline Chambers, Housing Operations Coordinator, as soon as possible (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Residents Transferring / Withdrawing from Purdue Northwest
If you will no longer be a student at Purdue University Northwest and have an Annual Contract, it is your responsibility to complete a Housing Contract Release Petition Form here: https://www.pnw.edu/housing/forms/ and attach documentation that supports your withdrawal (i.e. letter from your advisor, acceptance letter from your new institution) and submit it to the Griffin Hall Front desk at least 10 days before the end of the semester. In your request, you will need to identify your requested move out date. If you have any questions, please contact Jacqueline Chambers, Housing Operations Coordinator, as soon as possible (email@example.com).
Official Check-Out Process
Due to the current health crisis, we will be conducting a different check out process this year. Residents will be emailed a link to schedule an appointment to officially check-out of their room which must occur 24 hours from the date of their last final. Failure to schedule a check-out time may result in an improper check-out fee of $50.00.
Residents may schedule check out appointments starting Saturday, May 2nd , at the their hall Front Desk beginning the week of May 3rd. You can check-out anytime between the hours of 7:00am and 11:00pm each day. Each check-out will be scheduled for 30 minutes, to ensure social distancing.
We ask that residents maintain social distancing by doing the following:
- No more than two people in the elevators at a time
- No more than two people in the hallway at a time
- Do not sign up to check out at the same time as your roommate or neighbors
Check-outs will take approximately 15-20 minutes. The following tasks MUST be completed in order to have a successful check-out:
- All personal belongings need to be removed from every area of the apartment suite.
- Bedroom, bathroom, vanity, living room, and kitchen areas must have the furniture wiped down, put back in its original place, areas must be dusted, free of garbage, the walls need to be free of debris, the trash needs to be removed and placed in the appropriate dumpster.
- All common areas (bathroom, kitchen, appliances, living room, etc.) need to be fully cleaned.
- All keys will need to be turned in during the scheduled check out appointment.
Your scheduled check out time will NOT be honored if these tasks are not complete!
Want some help with this? Click here to see our Cleaning Tips and Tricks!
Move-out day will be here before you know it. Our official storage provider, Dorm Room Movers can help you with your stuff this summer so you can focus on what really matters, college!
This is how easy it is: They send you boxes and tape. You pack – that’s it. Their movers will pick up your items, store them while you’re away, and deliver everything back to you when you return! Dorm Room Movers can also ship boxes home or wherever you need them.
Register now and join over 50,000 students that have made life easier for themselves and their parents by leaving storage & shipping to Dorm Room Movers!
No stress because:
- They send you boxes and tape to pack.
- Picked-up and delivered by professional movers.
- $100 insurance per box or unboxed item.
- Climate-protected storage and 24/7 security.
- BBB A+ accredited.
Failure to comply with the preparation check out list may result in additional charges to the resident’s student account. We expect for the apartment suite to be returned in excellent condition. Residents may receive charges for additional damages not previously recorded in the Unit Condition Form upon move-in.
- The bedroom is the individual resident’s responsibility. Any damages in the bedroom will be their responsibility regardless of who caused the damage.
- The common areas of the apartment suite are the responsibility of all assigned occupants. Any damage costs in common areas will be divided among the residents of the suite unless administration is informed by the responsible individual. If no one comes forward to own the responsibility for the damages caused, the damage costs will be divided up among the assigned occupants.
- Failure to move out in a timely manner will result in prorated charges, an improper check out fee, and be forced to vacate the University Village community. If a resident is forced to vacate, the Department of Housing and Residential Education will de-activate key cards, change locks, and store personal belongings to expedite the turnover process of the room.
Final Room Inspection
Final inspections and repairs of all rooms are conducted by the University Village Maintenance and Custodial Staff after all check-outs have been completed. They are responsible for assessing any damage/repair charges. Those charges are reported to Housing and Residential Education Administration. Charges are then placed on the appropriate student account. Resident Assistants do not assess/determine damage/cleaning charges. Please be patient with this process, it will take 3-4 weeks after our last move out date to complete.
All deposits will be held until the end of May so room inspections can be completed. If you paid your deposit by check, it will be returned to you that way. If you paid by credit card, your credit card will be credited the $20.00. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU FILL OUT A FORWARDING ADDRESS FORM WHEN YOU CHECK OUT, THIS IS WHERE YOUR DEPOSIT WILL BE SENT!
Housing Billing Appeal Process
If your student account is assessed any damage/repair charges and you wish to contest any of the charges, you may submit an appeal by following these instructions:
- Fill out the Housing Charges Appeal form
- Appeals will be reviewed on a weekly basis, however, we ask that you allow at least four weeks for an Appeals decision to be made.
- Please note that if you are not responsible for damages within your apartment, the responsible party must come forward and accept responsibility before you can be found not responsible.
- Also note that you are responsible for the charges on your account until a decision has been reached regarding your appeal. Do not wait for an appeal decision to be made before paying your charges.
Peregrine Hall Residents With Roommates Who Are Checking-Out
You are responsible for working with your roommates to ensure that the bathrooms, kitchens, and common areas of your apartments are cleaned as if you were moving out as well. This is an expectation because your roommates will be checking out and these items will be checked. If there are any damages or cleaning charges assessed to any common area, kitchen, or bathroom space, the charge(s) will be applied to everyone assigned to that apartment.
****BREAK HEALTH AND SAFETY INSPECTIONS WILL BE CONDUCTED ON
Tuesday, May 7th, 2019 at 10:00am in Peregrine Hall****
You will be receiving a roommate the week of May 12th, so you will need to make sure your apartment is in a good condition and will make your new roommate feel welcomed. Make sure your room and common areas are clean, floors are clear and clean, and all surfaces are free of all food and trash. Any room that is not ready to receive a roommate will fail their inspection and will be documented. There will be NO 24 HOUR FOLLOW UPS!
Residents must work together to make sure the apartment suite is ready for check out. It is also highly encouraged that any repairs be reported through a work order before the check out process begins. You can place your work order at your front desk at any time of day.
Griffin Hall Residents- Summer Transition Schedule
This summer we will be completing renovations to the rooms and bathrooms of Griffin Hall. Because of this, no summer students will be allowed to live in Griffin Hall this summer. Your summer transition to Peregrine Hall will begin the week of May 6th. You will be emailed (PNW student email) when your Griffin Hall room is ready and will need to complete your move by Saturday, May 11th at noon. Please come to the Griffin Hall front desk to start your room change process. Please do your best to pack your items during the weekend of April 29th so your move will be smooth and stress free.
You will be notified of the date you can begin to move back in to Griffin Hall in late July, early August. Please check your student email for more details as this time frame approaches.
- Residents need to return their keys and stickers during their check out appointment.
- Any items that are left behind after checkout, will be stored for 30 days. If these items are not picked up within the 30 days, they will be donated.
- We DO NOT offer any storage for the summer. You must take all of your items with you upon checking out.
- Residents need to complete a forwarding address form during their check out appointment.
- Your mail will be forwarded for 3 months, after that point, we will return everything to the sender.
- Bulk mail, magazines, and many discounted-rate postage classes cannot be forwarded due to United States Postal Service regulations. Please note that we cannot forward mail to International addresses.
- Residents leaving the community may not forward their mail to a University Village address.
- To improve the speed of our forwarding process, be sure to change addresses for the following commonly forgotten senders:
- insurance providers
- banks/credit card companies
- student loan providers
- cellular phone providers
Thank you in advance for your cooperation. Please feel free to contact your RA, Hall Director or our professional staff with any questions.
Good luck with finals!
Department of Housing and Residential Education