Banner is PNW’s student information system. See how to request access to Banner’s administrative pages and document management system.
Who Needs to Request Access?
- New hires requiring first-time access
- Requests for additional access for existing accounts
- Departmental transfers (automatic review and re-authorization of access is required for all departmental transfers)
Banner Access Request Steps
- Prior to requesting access ALL users must complete the following certifications on www.purdue.edu/webcert. You will need your career account username and password to login.
- FERPA – annually
- GLBA – annually
- Protecting SSNs – annually
- Data Handling – annually
- All requests for PNW Banner Admin Pages access must be sent by the requestor’s department head to Banner Security (email@example.com). Security request should include:
- Type of access needed (i.e. Banner admin pages)
- Reason for this access: job function (i.e. advisor)
- Specific needs, such as name of Banner page(s) or name of another individual within the department whose access to mirror
- Career account
- Once Banner Security receives this email, we will send this request on to the data owners for approval. Each area has a designated custodian responsible for reviewing and approving access. If the approving custodian has any questions or concerns, they will contact the requesting department head.
- Once Banner Security receives approval back from all needed data owners, the request will be processed and an email will be sent to the individual and their department head notifying them of their access.
Banner 9 Frequently Asked Questions
What are the benefits of upgrading?
There are many benefits to upgrading including:
- Keeping up with current technology industry standards
- Moving away from reliance on the Java plug-in on client workstations
- Consistent look and use across Banner pages (formerly called forms)
- Banner pages support mobile devices
What will stay the same?
- Data and the way data is entered
- Seven character form names (such as SPAIDEN, PPAIDEN, FOAIDEN, APAIDEN)
- Users’ security access to forms
Does Administrative Banner have new terminology?
Yes, there are some new definitions for Administrative Banner that differ from Internet Native Banner.
INTERNET NATIVE BANNER
Commit or Save
Auto hint (messages at bottom left)
Notification Center (messages at top right)
Will I be able to access the forms I currently have permission to in Banner 8?
Yes, your access to pages (formerly called forms) will not change.
Is there an Options Menu to bring you to associated forms Banner?
Yes, there is still a means to get to associated pages, now called “Related to Current”. This is accessed via the ‘Go To’ menu.
From within a page, can you navigate from section to section without using the mouse?
Yes, you will be able to navigate from section to section using the PageUp and PageDown keys.
Will a user be able to type in an acronym directly instead of having to navigate a list? For example, typing in SCADETL in INB takes you directly to the form.
Yes, there will be the ability to navigate to a page by either the 7 letter acronym or by the page name.
Will the names of pages (formerly called forms) still be the same?
Yes, you will be able to search for pages (formerly called forms) by their seven character name such as SPAIDEN, PPAIDEN, APAIDEN etc. An enhancement in Administrative Banner is the ability to find a page by its description. For instance, if the text “general student” is entered in the search bar, the SGASTDN page will be retrieved for you to select.
I have set up my frequently-used forms under My Banner. Will this continue to work?
Yes, My Banner is still available. Enter ‘my banner’ in the search field on the Welcome page to access your list of pages.
Will my keyboard shortcuts continue to work?
Some keyboard shortcuts will work. Others had to be changed. This is because Administrative Banner is completely internet based where key strokes are already in use. Reference the Banner 9 Hotkeys Guide
How do I navigate to sections without using a mouse?
Use the PageUp and PageDown keys.
Why are keyboard shortcuts not working?
Because Administrative Banner runs in a web browser, some keyboard shortcuts had to be changed while others no longer work. See the Banner 9 Hotkeys Guide for a list of all new shortcut keys.
Does the Percent Sign (%) still work in searching?
Yes, you will be able to use wildcard searches when searching. Though, you may not need to use them all the time. There is a new feature in Administrative Banner called ‘auto complete’ that provides a list of items that match what you are typing. It assumes the wildcard at the beginning and the end of the entered text.
Why is no data returned when using the Filter feature?
- Filters are case sensitive.
- Verify that you have selected the appropriate operator from the drop down.
- Multiple fields can be selected to narrow your results.
What browsers does Administrative Banner support?
The recommended browsers for best performance are Firefox and Chrome. However, Administrative Banner can be used on Internet Explorer (IE 10 and 11), Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Edge.
I am getting a “Service Invocation Failed” message. What does this mean?
This error indicates that Banner has become out-of-sync with your BoilerKey session. To fix the problem, use the padlock icon on the Application Navigator menu to sign out of Banner, then sign back in.
If that fails, make sure that browser cookies are enabled by following the steps below.
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + DELETE simultaneously while in Chrome or Firefox.
- You should get a prompt that asks you to clear your browser data.
- From here, you can select Clear data or Clear Now, respectively.
- Close the browser
- Open the browser and try again.
Note: The above will clear out your browser data.
After my Banner session times out, why do I always need to enter my BoilerKey twice to sign back in?
When your Banner session times out, your browser is automatically redirected to the BoilerKey login page. This login page will also time out after a while, and will not allow you to log in the first time you try. The best way to work around this issue is to refresh the BoilerKey login page before signing in if you have been away from your desk.