Veera Gnaneswar Gude, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, D.WRE, F.ASCE, F.EWRI
NiSource-Meyer Charitable Foundation Professor of Energy and the Environment | Director, PNW Water Institute
Veera Gnaneswar Gude is NiSource-Meyer Charitable Foundation Professor of Energy and the Environment and Director of Purdue University Northwest Water Institute (PWI). He is a professional engineer and a board-certified environmental engineer.
Gude’s research focus is on the understanding of the issues at the nexus of water, energy and the environment. He conducts both experimental investigation and theoretical assessment of various intertwined environmental problems. Water-energy nexus has been his core area of expertise which encompasses water desalination and energy-positive wastewater treatment through electrochemical and biological processes, resource recovery from waste streams, and waste to energy technologies.
He also strives to develop resource-efficient water and energy technologies for sustainable development. He holds two U.S. patents in these technologies. His recent research efforts focus on evaluation of the design and development of resilient and sustainable renewable (biomass in particular) energy systems for remote and isolated communities considering extreme events and disasters.
I became an engineer simply because of the employment opportunities, but I learnt through my professional experience that engineers have a unique opportunity to make advances in engineering and scientific disciplines that contribute towards the wellbeing of our society.
- Nandimandalam H, Aghalari A, Gude VG, Marufuzzaman M. Multi-objective optimization model for regional renewable biomass supported electricity generation in rural regions. Energy Conversion and Management. 2022 Aug 15;266:115833.
- Nandimandalam H, Gude VG, Marufuzzaman M. Environmental impact assessment of biomass supported electricity generation for sustainable rural energy systems-A case study of Grenada County, Mississippi, USA. Science of The Total Environment. 2022 Jan 1;802:149716.
- Ghimire U, Gude VG, Smith R, Brooks JP, Deng D. Co-existing anammox, ammonium-oxidizing, and nitrite-oxidizing bacteria in biocathode-biofilms enable energy-efficient nitrogen removal in a bioelectrochemical desalination process. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering. 2021 Mar 30;9(14):4967-79.
- Sarpong G, Gude VG. Codigestion and combined heat and power systems energize wastewater treatment plants–analysis and case studies. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 2021 Jul 1;144:110937.
- Schmidt JM, Gude VG. Nuclear cogeneration for cleaner desalination and power generation–a feasibility study. Cleaner Engineering and Technology. 2021 Jun 1;2:100044.
- Ghimire U, Sarpong G, Gude VG. Transitioning wastewater treatment plants toward circular economy and energy sustainability. ACS omega. 2021 Apr 27;6(18):11794-803.
Gude has taught a broad range of environmental engineering courses spanning from fundamentals to advanced concepts in environmental engineering. He taught at all levels including freshman to senior level undergraduate students, masters, and Ph.D. students. He also engaged the community and K-12 students in various outreach programs.