PNW and Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Purdue University Northwest has returned to in-person learning and campus life! We continue to monitor COVID-19 guidelines, and we ask members of the PNW community to follow our testing and isolation protocols if they show symptoms or test positive for COVID.
Face coverings are optional on campus. Feel free to wear a face covering if it makes you comfortable, but it is no longer required as part of general campus life.
COVID Exposure and Testing Protocols
See what to do if you receive positive COVID-19 test results, are exposed to COVID-19 or begin experiencing symptoms.
Frequently Asked Questions
Face masks are optional for students, faculty and staff at Purdue University Northwest. Feel free to wear a face covering if it makes you comfortable, but it is no longer required as part of general campus life.
Classes, labs, advising and faculty office hours have returned to regular operations, which means the majority are being held in person. Some classes or programs may include virtual options, but Purdue Northwest has returned to in-person instruction and campus life!
PNW anticipates a full, in-person schedule of campus events and gatherings, without limitations on crowds. The university will continue to monitor COVID-19 guidelines, but we’re excited for a fun slate of campus activities.
PNW continues to disinfect public areas including classrooms and labs nightly, as well as wiping down surfaces in public areas and entranceways with disinfectant daily as we conduct our cleaning and servicing. Disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizers are available in all those areas as well. These practices have become part of our PNW cleaning standards.
Procurement Services will work with campus stakeholders and vendor partners to identify and locate essential COVID-19 related supplies, such as hand sanitizer, face coverings, disinfecting wipes and surface disinfectant.
Colleges and departments should complete the information below to submit a purchase request for these essential supply orders instead of purchasing items on their own. This applies to branded and unbranded items.
If your department is considering purchasing any PPE materials that include the university name, symbol, marks, logo or phrases that represent Purdue Northwest, a university licensed vendor must be used. Please see the licensing guidelines or contact Marketing and Communications with questions about proper branding of items.
The COVID-19 vaccine is NOT mandatory, but health officials strongly encourage those who are eligible to receive the vaccine.
Students of the College of Nursing should be aware that some clinic settings and facilities are requiring student nurses to be vaccinated or to have frequent COVID-19 testing. The College of Nursing continues to assess clinical compliance requirements.
COVID Symptoms and Positive Test Results
If You Test Positive for COVID-19, Isolate
- Everyone, regardless of vaccination status, should stay home for 5 days.
- If you have no symptoms or your symptoms are resolving after 5 days, you can return to campus.
- Continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
- You do not need to retest to “prove a negative test” to return to campus as long as you are fever free for 24 hours (without the use of fever reducing medication) and symptoms are improving.
- Contact your healthcare provider if you have any questions or concerns about your individual circumstances.
If you have a fever, continue to stay home until your fever resolves.
Reporting Positive Cases
Students, faculty, and staff are no longer required to report positive COVID-19 cases or exposures. You are encouraged to monitor for symptoms and isolate when necessary.
As a reminder, the Office of the Dean of Students can assist students who experience any illness, including Covid-19. Dean of Students’ advocates can collect medical information and verify circumstances for instructors so that students don’t need to share medical or other sensitive information with multiple instructors. Note that excusing absences and missed work is at the discretion of the instructor; the Office of the Dean of Students does not have the authority to excuse absences.
Contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 219-989-4141 (Hammond) or 219-785-5230 (Westville), or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have been exposed to COVID-19, you should:
- Wear a mask around others for 10 days.
- Test on day 5
- If the test is negative, continue to come to campus and follow masking protocol.
- If the test is positive, follow the positive testing protocols above.
- If you tested positive for Covid-19 in the past 30 days, it is only recommended to test for Covid-19 if you have been exposed to someone with Covid-19 and have symptoms of Covid-19. If you have tested positive for Covid-19 in the past 31 to 90 days, it is recommended to test for Covid-19 regardless of symptoms after exposure to someone with Covid-19.
If you develop symptoms, get a test and stay home.
Concerned about monkeypox? Purdue University Northwest is monitoring public-health guidelines and will offer updates to the campus community as necessary.
See the CDC’s Monkeypox Guide