- This event has passed.
PNW MLK Celebration featuring Carol Anderson
January 12 @ 2:30 pm - 5:00 pm
On Thursday, January 12 the PNW community is invited to come together to discuss, learn, and reflect on topics related to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Legacy.
Schedule of Events
- 2 p.m. to 3:15 p.m. – Join community leaders and PNW students for breakout sessions focusing on “Racial Inequality in Northwest Indiana” or “Voter Suppression in Northwest Indiana.” You can join the conversation in-person on PNW’s Hammond and Westville Campuses or register to discuss your preferred topic by Zoom!
- 3:45 p.m. – we will gather in Alumni Hall in Hammond and the Dworkin Center in Westville to hear a live broadcast from keynote speaker Carol Anderson.
Zoom options are also available for registered guests! Sign up soon to reserve a space.
About the Keynote Speaker
Carol Anderson is the Charles Howard Candler Professor of African American Studies at Emory University and author of “White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide,” a New York Times Bestseller, Washington Post Notable Book of 2016, and a National Book Critics Circle Award winner.
She is also the author of “Eyes Off the Prize: The United Nations and the African American Struggle for Human Rights, 1944-1955;” “Bourgeois Radicals: The NAACP and the Struggle for Colonial Liberation, 1941-1960,” and “One Person, No Vote: How Voter Suppression is Destroying Our Democracy,” which was long-listed for the National Book Award and a finalist for the PEN/Galbraith Award in non-fiction.
- Purdue University Northwest Cultural Heritage Celebration Committee
Justice Seeker ($2,500)
Silence Breaker ($1,000)
- Urban League
- Visit Michigan City LaPorte
- PNW Department of Psychology
On Monday, January 16 the community is invited to honor the Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with a day “on” by coming together in service to the communities of Northwest Indiana.
To request a disability-related accommodation, please contact the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion five days prior to the event at email@example.com, 219-989-2163 (Hammond Campus) or 219-785-5545 (Westville Campus).