Need help navigating Brightspace? Explore these guides and resources for getting started and using the system successfully.
Is a tool down or experiencing a disruption?
- Check the PNW IT Status Update webpage.
While there are many ways to navigate and function in Brightspace, we recommend reviewing these helpful videos/guides to ensure a smooth semester start.
- How to Log into Brightspace (Video)
- Opt in to a Student Brightspace Training Course
- Tech resources for online, hybrid, virtual classroom,and face-to-face classes
- Read through the FAQs at the bottom of this page.
Make sure you have completed the following at the start of each semester
- How to Submit a Video Assignment (Student Peer Review)
- How to Record a Video or Add Voice Over to a Presentation Using Kaltura
- How to Record a Video using Video Note
- How to Resubmit an Assignment (Video) (with instructor-granted access)
- Turnitin-How to Submit an Assignment
- Turnitin-How to interpret the Similarity Report
- Error Submitting Assignments
Grades and Feedback
- How to Use Respondus LockDown Browser & Monitor
- View and Understand Quiz Submission View
- What happens when a quiz freezes?
- Any course that is active/accessible will appear in your My Courses widget. Any active courses will be available for you to open and navigate. You can identify these courses because they will be in color and clickable.
- There may be a Start Date for your course. You will see this date and time reflected below the name of the course. If the course is grayed out and not able to be accessed/opened, it is because the Start Date for the course has not occurred yet.
- There may also be an End Date for your course. You will see this date and time reflected below the course name. If the end date has passed, you will no longer be able to open/access the course. Contact your instructor if you need further access.
- Be sure you have registered for the course. Contact your advisor or the Registrar to confirm.
- If you have just registered for a course, the registration may not be processed yet. Please wait at least one hour after registering for a course for it to appear in Brightspace.
- The course may not be active. Your instructor is responsible for activating the course so contact them to see when the course will be activated.
- The course hasn’t started. If the course has not yet started, it will not be visible in Brightspace. If you are unsure about when your course is supposed to start, contact the instructor for that course for further information.
All PNW faculty, staff, and students have two email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. Brightspace utilizes your firstname.lastname@example.org address and should forward any email communication from this account into your email@example.com email address. Sometimes these forward settings are not set up correctly. To ensure your forward settings are correct:
- Click on the Change mailbox link: https://www.purdue.edu/apps/account/Account
- Log in with your BoilerKey.
- Under the tab called “Your @purdue.edu Email” select, “Your email service is sent to”.
- Select the second option called “Forward to @purdue.edu email”, and enter the address you would like the email forwarded to. We recommend that Purdue Northwest students enter their @pnw email address.
- Click “Save Changes”.
- Sign into Brightspace.
- Open the course for the instructor you need to contact.
- Select the Classlist option from the top black navigation bar.
- From the Classlist area, find the name of the instructor(s) you want to email and click ‘Email’.
- If you need to add a voice-over to a presentation or record a video, use Kaltura Personal Capture. Follow along with this guide to learn how to use this tool in Brightspace.
- Need to simply upload a video to your assignment/discussion? Use Kaltura MediaSpace to upload the video. Follow along with this guide to get started.
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
- Log into Brightspace with a regular browser using your BoilerKey. Open your course and navigate to the quiz.
- From this screen, either install LockDown Browser or launch it to take the quiz by selecting “Launch LockDown Browser”.
- If you are still experiencing issues, please reference this guide here and you can reach out to OIT for additional assistance.
Important: Your instructor determines the parameters for the Quiz. This includes time limit, restricted date/time access, number of attempts, etc.
- Log immediately back into the quiz space! The timer continues to run even if you exit a quiz. Questions auto-save every few seconds, so any questions you already answered should be preserved. You may be able to continue taking the quiz. It is important to note, you may not be able to pick up your quiz where you left off depending on instructor settings for the assessment.
- Regardless of the issue, contact your instructor immediately. They will decide if you will have another attempt, to exempt you from the quiz, or delete your previous attempt and let you begin again.
If you believe that you have submitted the wrong assignment to your instructor, you can check the assignment submission status and the file attached.
- Immediately after an assignment submission, you will be directed to a screen that will allow you to review your submission. Here you will be able to view, click, and open the file you attached to the submission.
- Directly below the submission date, you will see green text that says “Confirmation Email Sent Successfully”. You can check this email to confirm that your submission was processed successfully.
- If you submitted the wrong file, try to make another submission to the same assignment space. Indicate in the “Comment” section that you previously submitted the wrong file.
- If you are unable to submit again, contact your instructor immediately.
The following are suggested troubleshooting tips to resolve the error uploading file message:
- Refer to this guide for beginning guidance.
- Rename your file so that there are no spaces or special characters: ” * / : < > ? \ | – Use only letters, numbers, and periods. Example: ebrandonEssay2.pdf
- Your file or folder name contains too many characters. The limit to characters in file names is 260 characters, but best practice is to limit file names to two or three words.
- Use Chrome as your browser – it has proven to be most compatible with Brightspace.
- Be sure to clear cache/cookies.
- Close your browser and re-open new windows.
- Check if you need to install updates to your browser or OS.
- Restart your computer.
If you can’t see your grade, the grade may not be published yet.
- Contact your instructor for more information about when the grade will be available for viewing.
- If the instructor has already stated that the grade should be available, contact the instructor and inform them that your grade is still not visible.
- Then email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are still experiencing issues.
The Class Progress tool helps track your progress in a course by measuring the completion of different progress indicators. You may want to use the Class Progress tool to keep track of your course-specific assignments and feedback.
Instructors can use the Class Progress tool to track your overall progress in the course and prepare progress reports. Progress reports are available for the following progress indicators: Summary, Grades, Standards, Objectives, Content, Discussions, Assignments, Quizzes, Checklist, Surveys, Login History, and System Access History.
Instructors can also pull data on this tool to see if you have accessed resources within the course.