Applying for In-State Residency

Students who were originally classified as out-of-state but have moved to Indiana may apply for in-state status for tuition purposes.

When you are admitted to Purdue Northwest, you are classified by the Office of Admissions as either a resident or a nonresident of the State of Indiana for tuition purposes. If you think you are classified incorrectly, or if you have moved to Indiana after you were admitted, you can apply for resident-student status for tuition purposes.

How Do I Apply for Residence Status?

1. Start by reading the residence classification policies and guidelines and the associated FAQs, which will help you understand what qualifies as in-state status and which documents you will need to provide.

2. Complete and sign the residence classification form (PDF) and make copies of supporting documents.

3. Submit the residency classification form and documents to the Office of the Registrar at Purdue University Northwest. Residence classification forms and documents are not accepted via email. Do not send forms and documents to Purdue West Lafayette.

Office of the Registrar
2200 169th Street
Lawshe Hall, Room 130
Hammond, IN 46323

Office of the Registrar
1401 South US 421
Schwarz Hall, Room 40
Westville, IN 46391

Residency Application Deadlines

  • Fall 2020 – Deadline has passed.
  • Spring 2021 – Monday, February 1, 2021 by 4:30 P.M.
  • Summer 2021 – Friday, July 2, 2021 by 4:30 P.M.

Helpful Hints

  • Unsigned forms and documents are considered incomplete and will not be reviewed until signed.
  • An email containing a decision or request for more information will be sent to the applicant’s PNW email address within 30 business days from time of application.