FSD 17-03 Reimbursement for Faculty Release
Purdue University Northwest Faculty Senate
Faculty Senate Document 17-03
Submission Date: 9/22/2017(Executive Committee)
Senate Action and Date:
- For Discussion, 10/13/2017;
- For Action, 11/10/2017;
- Tabled, 11/10/2017
- For Action, 3/9/2018;
- Purdue University Northwest Chancellor, Thomas Keon
- Purdue University Northwest Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Ralph Mueller
Subject: Full-reimbursement to departments for faculty release for partial or full-time administrative appointment outside their academic unit.
Whereas: As approved by the Board of Trustees, the Purdue University Northwest Faculty Senate has the general power and responsibility to adopt policies, regulations, and procedures needed to achieve the educational objectives of Purdue University Northwest and promote the general welfare of those involved in Purdue University Northwest’s educational processes.
Whereas: As approved by the Board of Trustees, the Purdue University Northwest Faculty Senate has the specific power to review and approve educational policies impacting the consistency of quality instruction at Purdue University Northwest.
Whereas: The current administrative practice of reimbursing adjunct level stipends for each course release given to perform administrative duties does impact quality of instruction in the following manner:
- perpetuates the use of adjunct faculty in place of full-time faculty members released for administrative duties outside the unit in which they are tenured;
- requires the academic unit to absorb the administrative cost of a faculty member permanently assigned outside the academic unit in which they are tenured; and
- further reduces the number of full-time tenured faculty at the cost of expanding and administrative positions and cost.
Be It Resolved:
- That academic department will be reimbursed the full amount of salary based on the percentage of administrative release, for more than one year, outside the academic unit in which they are tenured.
- This reimbursement is not required when faculty are released temporarily, that is less than one year, for service or administrative duties within the department or college in which they are tenured.
- This reimbursement is not required when faculty are released temporarily, that is less than one year, for service or administrative duties outside the department or college in which they are tenured.