CHESS 17-30 NEW COURSE POL 36200
Purdue Northwest Curriculum Document
Program Name: Political Science
- Document No: CHESS 17-30 NEW COURSE POL 36200
- Proposed Effective Date: Fall 2018
- Submitting Department: Political Science, Economics, World Languages and Cultures
- Date Reviewed by Department: November 11, 2017
- Submission Date: December 1, 2017
- Date Reviewed College/School Curriculum Committee: 01/26/2018 and 02/02/2018
- Contact Person: Frank Colucci, Associate Professor of Political Science, email@example.com
- Approval by Faculty Senate:
- Date Reviewed by Senate Curriculum Committee:
- Name(s) of Library Staff Consulted: Not Applicable
- Will New Library Resources Used?: No
- Form 40 Needed?: Yes
Task: Course Change or New Course Proposal
- Program Name: Political Science
Section II: This section is for changes in courses only
Add POL 36200 Health Care and the Constitution.
POL36200 Health Care and the Constitution is a new course that examines the political and legal dimensions of health care policy in the United States, focusing on developments following passage of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) in 2010.
Course reflects demonstrated student interest in political science, nursing and health studies.
Course has been offered several times as POL 39000 Selected Topics open to all students and for the online RN-BSN program and attracted robust enrollments.
POL 36200 Health Care and the Constitution
Credit Hours: 3.00
Class 3, lab 0
Levels: Undergraduate, Graduate, Professional
An assessment of current legal and political developments involving the American health care system.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Typically offered: Fall, Spring, Summer
Schedule types: Distance Learning, Lecture
PolSci Econ WrldLang Cultr-PNW Department
Course Objectives / Learning Outcomes:
- To evaluate the changes the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act brought to the structure of the American health care system.
- To identify the legal and political challenges to the PPACA and broader heath care policy brought by executive and legislative action at the federal and state levels.
- To assess proposals for reform of the PPACA and of the larger American health care system.
Impact on Students:
This course will provide students with an additional offering in political science as well as an elective to students in growing PNW programs in Health Studies and Nursing.
Impact on University Resources:
N/A. Course has been offered as POL 39000 Selected Topics in both political science and the RN-to-BSN program