FSD 18-22: Engagement for Clinical and Research Faculty
April 29, 2018
PURDUE UNIVERSITY NORTHWEST FACULTY SENATE
Resolution on Engagement for Clinical and Research Faculty in Promotion Process
Submission Date: 4/29/19 Faculty Senate Document 18-22
For discussion: May 3, 2019
For action: May 3, 2019
Approved: May 3, 2019
Whereas the most recent version of the promotion and tenure criteria for clinical and research faculty failed to list engagement as part of the criteria, be it resolved that references to engagement be added as noted in the following narrative:
- Criteria for Clinical Faculty:
- Associate Professor:Successful candidates for promotion to Associate Clinical Professor must provide evidence of significant progress toward excellence in teaching and of sustained growth toward strength in clinical practice and scholarly activity, together with active participation in engagement.Promotion to Associate Clinical Professor is based on actual performance as well as increased realization of potential
- Professor:Successful candidates for promotion to Clinical Professor must provide evidence of excellence in teaching and clinical practice, and provide evidence of strength in scholarly activity and in engagement. They must be recognized by their peers at the regional, national, and/or international level, as is appropriate for the discipline.
- Criteria for Research Faculty:To enable the University to recruit and retain top research scholars, a position of Research Professor has been established. The primary responsibilities are to support and enhance the discovery mission of the University.
- Associate Professor:Candidates for promotion to the rank of Associate Research Professor must have a sustained and growing record of scholarly accomplishment and externally funded research. In addition, where appropriate, they must demonstrate sustained growth toward strength in the area of teaching and in engagement. The candidate must show promise of continued professional growth, recognition, and contribution to the discovery mission of the University.
- Professor: Candidates for promotion to the rank of Research Professor must be recognized nationally and/or internationally as authorities in their fields of specialization, have obtained significant and sustained extramural research funding, and have significantly contributed to the research mission of the University. In addition, where appropriate, they must demonstrate strength in the area of teaching and in engagement.
Approved by Faculty Affairs committee: