FSD 17-21 Transfer Credit (REVISED)
February 27, 2020
Purdue University Northwest Faculty Senate
Senate Action Date: February 14, 2020
The following Document is a Revision of FSD 17-21. Its purpose is to ensure that faculty with the appropriate expertise are the ones approving articulations and course exceptions.
Whereas the Faculty Senate has the power and responsibility to propose and to adopt policies, regulations, and procedures intended to achieve the educational objectives of Purdue University Northwest
Whereas the faculty of Purdue University Northwest have the power to develop curricula and course content, develop instructional and examination procedures, and nominate all candidates for academic degrees
Whereas students are able to use credits transferred from other institutions in order to meet the educational objectives of their Purdue University Northwest degree plan
Whereas students meet their educational objectives through a combination of courses in their degree program, courses in the General Education program, and electives
Therefore, be it resolved that:
- Decisions regarding articulation1of courses and exceptions2 must be made by a faculty or faculty committee with expertise in the relevant area(s).
- Within each Department/School/College3the department head/director/dean shall have responsibility for processing the decisions of the faculty or committee. That duty can and should be delegated, as appropriate, to other faculty including, but not limited to, a program coordinator, a faculty committee, and/or faculty with expertise in relevant areas.
- Articulation decisions must be made by the Program/Department/School/College that offers courses in that discipline.
- Decisions regarding exceptions must be made by the Department/School/College which offers the program in which the student seeking the exception is enrolled or plans to enroll.
General Education and Assessment Committee
Approve: Dave Pratt, Lindsay Gielda, Wangling Yu, David Kozel, Wei He, Julia Rogers
Absent: Lucy Yang
Transfer Credit Steering Subcommittee
Approve: Dave Kozel, Michael Roller, Shuhui Yang, Colette Morrow
- Note: Articulationis alignment of a PNW course with an equivalent course at another institution.
- Note: Exceptionsallow courses outside of the plan of study to be accepted when the student has fulfilled the learning objectives through other course work.
- Note: Throughout this document, Department/School/College and department head/director/dean shall indicate the smallest unit and administrator of the smallest unit, respectively, which houses a program or discipline.