Tax FAQs

See tax-related frequently asked questions for PNW’s international community.

All international students who arrived in the United States before January 1, 2023, should file federal form 8843. Instructions are available from LAWS 226, but our office cannot give tax advice.

Purdue Tax Information

International students working for Purdue will get tax information after January 31. The Glacier system will send you an email on Glacier Tax Prep as a resource for preparing your federal taxes.

Tax FAQs

All international students. If you were present in the United States during any part of 2022 on a visa other than B1/B2 (visitor visas), there is at least one tax form you must complete. If you were not in the United States at all during 2022 you do not need to complete any tax forms at this time.

No. If the student has received income, then a federal and state return must be completed. In addition, the Form 8843 must be completed by all international students present in the United States during 2022, even if no income was received.

Federal tax forms are due to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by April 15, 2023. Indiana state tax forms are due to the Department of Revenue by April 15, 2023. Form 8843 is due to the Department of the Treasury by April 15, 2023.

  • IRS form W-2 issued to those who had U.S.-based employment (including OPT/CPT employment); should have been mailed to you by January 31, 2023.
  • User ID for Glacier and a Password. Once you log into Glacier, it will give you access to Cintax, a tax form preparation system.
  • Your passport
  • Your visa document (Form I-20, DS-2019)
  • SSN or ITIN (see section below on SSNs and ITINs) if you have one

This is a tax reporting document. The W-2 is a form that is used for filing income taxes and shows all wages and salary earned during the tax year. The form also shows all federal and state taxes that were taken out of your paycheck before you received it.

Usually it is received via mail that was sent from your place of employment. Most employers will send them out so that you can receive them before January 31, 2023 (this includes people employed by Purdue University Northwest).

For Purdue University Northwest employees, please contact the Payroll department:

Human Resources Department/Payroll
Schneider Ave Building, Room 1005
2450 169th Street (On the corner of Schneider Ave and 169th)
(219) 989-2251

If you are employed outside of the University, contact your company’s payroll department.

GLACIER is a tax compliance system that enables institutions and individuals to maintain the strict regulations regarding the taxation and reports of payments made to non-United States Citizens. More information is available at

If you don’t already have your GLACIER Id number and password, contact Human Resources at (219) 989-2251.

Yes, any individual who works in the U.S. as an employee should have an SSN. It is mandatory to have one or the other. Individuals who complete tax returns in CINTAX and do not have an SSN or ITIN will be prompted to complete Form W-7 to apply for an ITIN in connection with the filing of the tax return. Note: you do not need a SSN or ITIN to file Form 8843.

LAWS 226
Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Do You Have a Question or Concern?

Your questions and concerns matter to us. Ask anything you’d like, as a prospective PNW international student, and we’ll respond in a video sent directly to you and shared on our website.

Submit a Question