J-1: School Transfer
Learn about the transfer process between SEVP-certified schools for students maintaining a valid J-1 status.
SEVIS Transfer Overview
A student who is maintaining valid J-1 status may transfer from one SEVP-certified school to another. The transfer process electronically moves a student’s SEVIS record while retaining the same SEVIS identification number, and does not imply the transfer of academic records. A student who is completing or leaving her/his current program with confirmed arrangements to continue studies at another SEVP-certified U.S. institution, and who wishes to retain her/his SEVIS number, must complete the SEVIS transfer process.
Examples of SEVIS transfers:
- when a student transfers to another school in the middle of their program to complete their degree at another institution, or
- when a student completes one degree and plans to begin a new program or degree at another school.
- when a student has completed a program and is pursuing AT in the U.S., but will start a new degree program at another institution
SEVIS Transfer Eligibility
A student may be eligible for a SEVIS transfer if:
- Student is maintaining legal J-1 status at his or her current school
- Student has been admitted to by the “transfer-in” school
- Student notifies current school of intention to transfer SEVIS record, discusses transfer date, and provides all required documents before the program completion date listed on the DS-2019
- New program at the “transfer-in” school must begin at the next available term or session
A student is not eligible for a SEVIS transfer if:
- Student has not maintained valid J-1 status
- Student has applied to the U.S. Department of State for a waiver of the two-year residency requirement
Travel and SEVIS Transfers
- If you plan to travel outside the US after your SEVIS record is transferred to a new institution and before you report to that institution, you should use the DS-2019 issued by the new institution in order to enter the US (not the DS-2019 issued by the previous institution)
- After transferring J programs, consult with the US consulate regarding whether a new J visa is required before entering to the US using a Purdue Northwest DS2019.
“Transfer In” to Purdue University Northwest
If you wish to transfer your SEVIS record to Purdue University Northwest, you must complete both the Notification of Intent (NOI) and the SEVIS Transfer In Request electronic forms in order to inform Purdue Northwest ISS of your intention to transfer your SEVIS record. In addition, you must work with your current school’s international student office to determine the date your SEVIS record will be released to Purdue University Northwest, and complete any paperwork that school requires in order to transfer your SEVIS record.
Procedure to Transfer SEVIS Record to Purdue University Northwest:
- Discuss your intention to transfer schools with the Alternate Responsible Officer at your current school and request that s/he complete their portion of the SEVIS Transfer In Request
- On or after the SEVIS transfer date, and based on receipt of all required documents,
- Purdue Northwest ISS will be able to access your SEVIS record and will create a DS-2019 for you
- On or after the release date, you may start or request written permission to work on-campus. To determine whether written permission is required, please review J-1 Employment Information
- You must officially check in with the ISS office within 15 days of the next Purdue University Northwest semester start date
- Purdue Northwest ISS will complete the J-1 transfer process in SEVIS and issue you a new DS-2019 reflecting the transfer completion
“Transfer-Out” from Purdue University Northwest to Another US-based Institution
If you wish to transfer your SEVIS record from Purdue Northwest to another SEVP-certified school, you must work with both Purdue Northwest ISS and the new school’s ISS offices to complete the process. Follow this process to initiate the electronic transfer of your SEVIS record.
Important Considerations when Transferring Out
On the SEVIS transfer/release date:
- The SEVIS Release Date is the date on which your SEVIS record will electronically transfer to the new institution. The new institution cannot issue a new DS-2019 until after the release date.
- If you are unsure what date to select, consult with an immigration counselor through Contact Student Services before submitting the e-form.
- You must begin classes at your new institution at the next available term after you release date as determined by the new school’s international office.
- ON or AFTER the release date, you cannot change the request in any way.
- You CANNOT continue to work on the Purdue Northwest campus on or after the release date. Any on-campus employment authorization ends on the release date.
- Your Academic Training authorization must end by the release date.
- You can no longer work on or after the SEVIS release date, even if the transfer date is earlier than the Academic Training end date.
Procedure to Transfer SEVIS Record from Purdue University Northwest to Another Institution
- Discuss your SEVIS release/transfer date with a Purdue Northwest ISS Immigration Counselor within 45 days of program completion or the expiration of employment authorization
- Gather the following documents and information in advance:
- Letter of acceptance or admission to the new institution
- This must be proof of unconditional admission to a program at another SEVIS approved institution at the next available session.
- Contact your new institution to find out their transfer-in requirements
- By the way, Purdue University Northwest does not complete transfer or status verification form(s) from other institutions. Questions posed on these forms are not a regulatory requirement for completing J-1 SEVIS transfers (22CFR62.42). Upon release of the SEVIS record, previous program dates, work authorization, and any other relevant information requested on the transfer verification form are accessible to the new school in SEVIS.
- Requested SEVIS Release Date
- Name and SEVIS Program Number of new school, college, university, or institution
- Scheduled Start Date of New Academic Program
- International Student Advisor/ARO at New Institution
- Phone number
- Email address
- Letter of acceptance or admission to the new institution
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org informing of your intent to transfer out of Purdue University Northwest
- Allow 14 calendar days from the date you submit a completed e-form.
- Check your email in case there are any questions during the e-form review. You will be contacted when processing is complete. The email will include the scheduled transfer out date and any completed forms required by the new institution (transfer in form).
Cancelling your SEVIS Transfer
If you wish to cancel your SEVIS transfer, you must notify Purdue Northwest ISS prior to the release date. Once the release date is reached, the new institution to which you intend to transfer to will gain full access to your SEVIS record and is then responsible for administering your program.