Test Anxiety – Tips to Help You Overcome It
Test anxiety is a common challenge for many college students when faced with exams or assessments. It can occur as feelings of worry, nervousness, and fear, leading to decreased performance; however, there are several strategies specifically tailored for students that can help manage and reduce test anxiety.
Effective Study Strategies
- Use active learning techniques, such as group discussions, teaching the material to others, or creating concept maps.
- Break down complex subjects into smaller, manageable sections and set realistic study goals.
- Take advantage of PNW resources, such as study groups, tutoring services, or writing centers, to help better understand study material. These resources are free to students and can help you with nearly any course content.
- Create a study schedule that includes dedicated time for each subject and allows for breaks and relaxation. Be sure to stick to your schedule.
- Don’t procrastinate – Break tasks into smaller steps and set deadlines for completion.
- Prioritize tasks based on their importance and urgency to eliminate last minute cramming and stress.
- Get enough sleep. All-night cramming is not an effective study method.
- Exercise regularly to reduce stress and promote overall well-being.
- Practice relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing exercises or mindfulness meditation, to calm the mind and body.
- Use resources such as academic advisors, counseling services, or peer support groups. Reach out to those who can help you deal with stress or other issues that limit your ability to study and retain course material.
- Discuss your test anxiety concerns with professors or teaching assistants.
PNW Academic Resources
Free for PNW students—get assistance doing your own work with our free, interactive sessions with faculty-recommended student tutors.
Join free study sessions led by students with proven success in your courses! Our leaders are ready to assist you.
Whether you’re looking to take a placement test or make-up exam, we offer an array of services in comfortable, full-service secure labs.
Student, staff and faculty: we help you look at your writing more critically, identifying strengths and weaknesses and making suggestions for improvement.