CIVS Shines at AISTech 2021 Conference in Nashville
July 1, 2021
CIVS had a record-high number of presentations and awards at the annual AISTech – The Iron & Steel Technology Conference and Exposition from June 29 to July 1 2021 in Nashville, TN. CIVS researchers and their industry collaborators had 11 technical presentations, 3 Best Paper awards, and 3 out of 6 student contest awards (1st & 2nd place in the Graduate Student Poster Contest and 2nd place in the Undergraduate Student Project Presentation Contest), and an AIME Honorary Membership for the CIVS Director.
- The Josef S. Kapitan Ironmaking Award: Samuel Nielson (ME Student), Tyamo Okosun (CIVS Staff), John D’Alessio (Stelco), Shamik Ray (Stelco), Mitchell Klaas (Stelco), and Dr. Chenn Q. Zhou (CIVS Director), “Investigation of High-Rate and Pre-Heated Natural Gas Injection in the Blast Furnace”
- The Ladle & Secondary Refining Best Paper Award: Xipeng Guo (PhD ME Student), Joel Godinez (ME Student), Helmut Oltmann (Nucor), Vivek Thapliyal (Nucor), Abhishek Bhansali (Nucor), Eugene Pretorius (Nucor), and Dr. Chenn Q. Zhou (CIVS Director), “Computational Studies and Optimization of Inclusion Removal in a Steel Ladle”
- The Digitalization Applications Technology Best Paper Award: Nicholas J. Walla (CIVS Staff), Zhankun Luo (MCE Student), Bin Chen (PFW Faculty), Yury Krotov (Steel Dynamics, Inc.), and Dr. Chenn Q. Zhou (CIVS Director), “Smart Ladle: AI-Based Tool for Optimizing Casting Temperature”
- Graduate Student Poster Contest – First place: Vitalis Anisiuba, “Numerical Investigation of Air-Mist Spray Cooling and Solidification in the Secondary Zone During Continuous Casting of Steel”
- Graduate Student Poster Contest – Second place: Yuchao Chen, “Multi-Physics CFD Modeling of Steelmaking Process in Electric Arc Furnace”
- Undergraduate Student Presentation Contest – Second Place: Joseph Madrigal and Jose Martinez, “Design of a Steel Annealing Furnace Rack”
- 2021 AIME Honorary Membership awarded to Professor Chenn Zhou, Director of CIVS
AISTech 2021 is Steel’s Premier Technology Event. Despite the pandemic, over 4,000 professionals attended to learn about the latest products, processes, research, technology advancements, and digitalization transformation.
The Association for Iron & Steel Technology (AIST) is a non-profit organization with over 18,500 members from more than 70 countries. AIST represents a large network of steel industry professionals with tremendous knowledge and expertise. AISTech 2021 featured technologies from all over the world that help steel producers to compete more effectively in today’s global market.