Photo and Video Consulting
Strong visuals are key to making your story or campaign memorable. We can provide you with photo and video resources to help capture the moments that will reach your target audiences.
When using photos or videos of individuals in your promotional materials, it’s important to consider if a release/consent form is required. The guidelines below were developed by Purdue University Marketing and Media and adopted by PNW Marketing and Communications. If your college or program has more stringent requirements, you should observe your area’s requirements.
A release is generally required if students or others (except Purdue Northwest faculty/staff) are:
- the primary focus of a photograph taken in a non-public space, are recognizable, and have been recruited specifically to serve as subjects/models.
- It is important to obtain a signed release for minors. Exceptions may include: public events, such as Open House and athletic events. In the absence of a signed release, verbal permission from the parent or guardian is advised.
- current students, identifiable, and in a location for a specific purpose other than being photographed. For example, if a group of current students is studying in the Purdue
Northwest library and you want to take a photograph of the group studying, a release/consent form or verbal consent should be obtained from each subject/model.
As a courtesy to subjects/models, you are encouraged to obtain a photo release/consent form or verbal consent in instances where an individual can be identified and is the primary focus of a specific photograph.
A release is generally not required if students or others are:
- photographed in a public space or at public eventswhere there is no reasonable expectation of privacy, including but not limited to: sporting events, Student Convocation, Faculty Research Day, Commencement, and concerts. These types of photographs include general “campus scene” photos.
- the primary focus of the photograph taken in a non-public environmentand are not recognizable, such as when a silhouette, back view, or out of focus shot is taken.
- Purdue University Northwest faculty or staff.
- invited to attend a group activity/event and chose to participate of their own free will.
- in a classroom or lab environment where the photography has been requested by the faculty member, department, college, or other appropriate agent of the University.